Hosting for Coronavirus self isolation

Lee32
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hosting for Coronavirus self isolation

We are thinking about offering our self contained one bedroom apartment in the UK for 2 week intervals for self isolation for people with symptoms of Coronavirus. Has anyone tried this? We would have to superboost the cleaning fee to cover a deep clean but are wondering how much a boost in rent would be politically acceptable. 

10 Replies 10
Lina169
Level 2
Darwin, Australia

Thinking about this option too!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have seen a company in Northern Ireland already set up to do this. What you would need to think about is how you would advertise such accommodation.

I would suggest investing in Google ads and setting up a FB page and ads could help drive awareness and traffic to your listing @Lee32 

Lee32
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks @Helen3 - good tip on google ads. I googled for the place in NI but couldn’t find it on the first 5 pages. please let me know if you remember it’s name. 

Roy93
Level 3
Aberlour, United Kingdom

Just thought this idea and come on here to see if anyone else had the same idea. Glad to see I’m not the only one but also see the same dilemma about how to go about offering this via Airbnb I definitely don’t want to just put it out there on fb and get unsavoury guests. Got to take in consideration the costs involved  as people would be indoors almost 24/7 using electricity and in my case oil for central heating which would drastically increase £££ 

Alex482
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Interesting idea @Lee32 however Airbnb's newly implemented Extenuating Circumstances policy may leave you high and dry. For example, guests check-in and once in the property they cancel and get a full refund but decide to remain, you now have squatters.

Lee32
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks for the feedback @Alex482 - I’ll have to think about that more. If done through airbnb I was thinking about structuring it as an “experience” though that is probably not the best name for it. 

Alex482
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Not sure if the policy extends to experiences as well, worth checking.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's why I suggested setting up your own advertising channels and FB page/website to promote this idea @Alex482 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Lee32   No approval needed for this kind of service ?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you are looking to do this, I wouldn't do it through Airbnb. Just set up as a separate business .