How airbnb treats hosts

Natalie797
Level 2
Åhus, Sweden

How airbnb treats hosts

Airbnb doesn't seem to care about the people hosting so much. It has a "the costumer is always right" policy which is never a good idea. Dealing with absolutes is just going to limit your understanding. I had a guest complain about the checking in process because he couldn't find my place easily. What does him not finding the place have to do with checking in? And why am I being blamed for things I have no control over? He didn't ask for directions or help either,he just left a negative review afterwards. Absolutely ridiculous. 

There is no way for me to even respond.

You don't even have the freedom to block guests that you don't want to host again 

6 Replies 6

@Natalie797  Perhaps I missed something due to not speaking Swedish, but none of your 11 reviews appears to mention the checking-in process. Maybe the guest gave private feedback about his trouble finding the place, but this is not visible on your listing. 

As frustrating as it feels to get a negative review, you become a much better host when you're willing to learn from the negative feedback, rather than expect Airbnb to protect you from it. Guests do appreciate getting thorough, thoughtfully-written directions (with all possible modes of transport considered) without having to ask for them. 

Sometimes, unfortunately you will get a cranky guest who puts the blame on you for their own communication failure or inappropriate expectation. As long as you're not using Instant Book, you can always screen your guests and decline those that you don't wish to host. The way they communicate in the Request process is a good predictor of how they'll behave as guests.

You can also attract better guests by improving your listing's photos and descriptions. Look at the 3rd photo, for example - that is the messiest bed I've ever seen in an Airbnb listing. Is that really the message you want to send about your hospitality?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Natalie797  Perhaps I missed something due to not speaking Swedish, but none of your 11 reviews appears to mention the checking-in process. Maybe the guest gave private feedback about his trouble finding the place, but this is not visible on your listing. 

As frustrating as it feels to get a negative review, you become a much better host when you're willing to learn from the negative feedback, rather than expect Airbnb to protect you from it. Guests do appreciate getting thorough, thoughtfully-written directions (with all possible modes of transport considered) without having to ask for them. 

Sometimes, unfortunately you will get a cranky guest who puts the blame on you for their own communication failure or inappropriate expectation. As long as you're not using Instant Book, you can always screen your guests and decline those that you don't wish to host. The way they communicate in the Request process is a good predictor of how they'll behave as guests.

You can also attract better guests by improving your listing's photos and descriptions. Look at the 3rd photo, for example - that is the messiest bed I've ever seen in an Airbnb listing. Is that really the message you want to send about your hospitality?

He left a bad star review when it comes to checking in and left a warning. Of course, I am willing to learn ,the topic at hand has nothing to do with not improving,it has to do with having to deal with unreasonable demands, which completely went over your head. I never said airbnb needs to protect me, it has to do with fairness and what I can take responsibility for and what guests have to take responsibility. It's not my responsibility to get here,its the guests responsibility, if they ask for help with directions,that's fine. Airbnb runs a site where hosts have to take responsibility for things out of our control,which is not a good thing.

As for the picture I thought it added character, but yeah i will change it

@Natalie797   The warning you received was automatically triggered by a low rating. Unless the guest was granted a refund (which would be unfair), it wouldn't be accurate to say that you were somehow forced to take responsibility for something out of your control. Your rating averages are still pretty good, so you're not at immediate risk of having your listing suspended.

I guess you're pretty new to the field of hospitality, but a huge part of the job is anticipating people's needs. If a guest feels they have to ask for help for a need as predictable as directions before their stay has even begun, you've already lost a lot of points in their estimation and the rest of their experience will be tainted by a poor first impression. You certainly can't be held responsible for something like bad weather, but supplying foolproof, detailed directions without being asked actually is very much a part of your job if you're interested in doing it well.

As for the pictures - I'd recommend changing all of them. Many guests, especially younger ones, genuinely appreciate the quirky, casual bohemian feeling of a lived-in home more than a bland holiday flat. But they still want to be confident that their host will be reliable and professional, and that the home is going to be clean. It does not inspire this confidence when the photos show dirty-looking laundry slung over surfaces, unmade beds, and random personal items laying around (odd for an Entire Home property). You could say those things add character, but only if that character happens to be Pig-Pen from the "Peanuts" comics.

Hi again friend, I never claimed that people should not ask for help,quite the opposite, he should  have asked for help, that's once again not the topic at hand. What i said,and i hate repeating myself is that him not finding the flat immediately and not asking for any help has nothing to do with checking in, checking in happens when the guest arrives,what happens during check in is my responsibility and them getting here is theirs. I am looking forward to learning more about hospitality. Now I feel like this topic is so dragged out its ridiculous, I think i will focus on something else today.

The warning I received was from him,not airbnb btw.. As for the pics I will remove all of them,and take new ones tomorrow. Is it ok if I message you so you can tell me what you think?

Btw thanks for opening my eyes in regards to the pics and my overall profile,what a bloody mess. I have guests that leave tomorrow and I will take some new presentable  pics

Vanessa1275
Level 3
New York, NY

@Natalie797 I totally agree with your statement that Airbnb does not care about the hosts anymore! It is so frustrating and betrayal of our trust as their "partners". My 2 recent experiences have left a really bad taste in mouth, and I definitely will consider alternative platforms now. 

1. Airbnb changed my cancellation policy without my knowledge from flexible to the new "flexible and non-refundable". This resulted in giving the guest an additional 10% discount on top of my weekly discount, which is deducted from my earnings. They are making sure guests book, they get their cut of the fee, all while we the hosts have to incur the loses and zero support from them. I have reached out to them via chat (now the only available method of communication) for 48hrs and no response.

2. Escalated a request of payment through the Resolution Center to Airbnb. I requested the extra cost/night from a guest who booked for 1 person but had someone else stay overnight for 2 nights. I waited 18 days for a case manager who threatened to close my case because I didn't respond within 24hrs. I shared the ring video evidence with Airbnb, but they refused to even contact the guest, saying the extra fee "was not stipulated in my listing". The case manager Jose refused to provide me any evidence, hung up the phone on me and closed the case with no FAIR Resolution. 

I am seriously losing all trust and respect for this platform. I understand times are tough, 25% of their staff was laid off, but as hosts we are carrying the majority of the risk opening our homes. Getting some adequate support especially if we are being charged a service fee should not be too much to ask for.