How can I rank higher in Airbnb search?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How can I rank higher in Airbnb search?

Stephanie_0-1649067307724.png

Hi everyone,

I often read from both new and more seasoned Hosts alike - "what contributes to where a listing or Experience is shown to a guest when they search?" The simple answer is algorithms and SEO (search engine optimisation) but let's be honest - that doesn't help a lot! 

That's why Airbnb have created some guides on what our Hosts can add or change in their online listings or Experiences, to maximise their chances of reaching that top spot from a guests search. Check out the article over on the Resource Center here

Have you thought about your listing or Experiences' keywords?

It can be a rabbit-hole when you start tweaking and testing different things on your listing but I always find it satisfying when a little change makes a noticeable difference.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

11 Replies 11
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stephanie From all I have experienced the search engine for listings prioritises

1) Success - The more bookings you get the more you will be seen

2) Instant Book - When we switched this off bookings dried up so we bowed to Airbnb and switched it on again

I can't give a number 3 as I haven't tried anything else.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Stephanie Does this Airbnb article really apply to vacation listings as well? I don't really understand how keywords help a listing climb in search results. When searching on Airbnb, guests are likely searching for Locations (Ex. Boston, Austin, etc.) and not "Big house within walking distance of Theme Park." Can you even use "keywords" in a search when trying to find a place to stay?

Yes you can use keywords. People love to be near water sources such as ocean,River, and Lakes.6E11090E-E597-441D-8223-80B978856A43.jpeg

@Sharon1155 

How do I search "Ocean" on Airbnb?

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 8.44.56 PM.png

@Emilia42  +1 to this question, you can search a region eg "adelaide hills" but if you add "wineries" then you get global nonsensical results. I don't see how you can add any keywords into the search as a traveller. 

Every time i've used abb as a traveller I type in roughly where I want to be, and then simply use the map search, so worrying about where you are on the page is irrelevant.
Surely? 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Stephanie 

I can not say for sure, but I think that a good reputation (maybe being superhost) and having lots of bookings helps a lot. Moreover, reasonable and competitive prices and not being too picky (not declining too many guest) are factors that contributes to be well ranked. Just my 2 cents.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Stephanie 

Thanks for posting.  Can you please explain to me why my legally deeded address  (Wiarton, Ontario) does not and hasn't shown up in Wiarton, Ontario searches for at least 18 months. How does this error impact the algorithms and my search results?  Yes, I am seeing an approximate 20% decrease in bookings vs 2021.  Though I know that there are many factors in play.

Background-we are on an avenue off Mallory Beach Road, Wiarton, Ontario and we show up when searching Mallory Beach Road.🥴 Which guest looks for a specific street in a tourist town?

Furthermore, Wiarton is part of South Bruce Peninsula and my listing shows under South Bruce Peninsula, always #1.

Would love an explanation because I have questioned this discrepancy several times with Airbnb.  No one can explain why my legally deeded address is Wiarton, Ontario does not appear in Wiarton searches.

BTW Another Airbnb less than 3 km appears in Wiarton  and Mallory Beach Road, but not in South Bruce Peninsula.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Stephanie part of my understanding Airbnb I have watched some y-tubes and there is 2 people that promote Airbnb as a business and they both have many properties in the game.

But both say your key words are a catchy name of property, location and good photos, tick most of the boxes of what you provide in your Airbnb. Such as off street parking, For example I added a cot and high chair and now getting more family bookings.

Also, being a Super Host, number of views (get your friend and relatives to look occassionally). Lastly, good reviews and compatible price for the neighbourhood and Instant booking on.

But, I think most Hosts do this but sometimes you find something different.

@Laurelle3  we must watch the same guys. I'm yet to see them explain how keywords work when there is nowhere to add in keywords when you search in the airbnb app. 

instant book is fine for these guys, the mostly seem to have bulletproof apartments and really bland fit-outs. On a farm i need to know that guests have some small amount of brainpower. the last guests managed to leave BOTH farm gates open. aargghh!!!  Instant book doesn't give me that reassurance, it's also a great way for people to book for 1 but try to sneak in extra people and then claim ignorance because they didn't message anyone.  

@Gillian166 the keywords I think they use are what you tick in the boxes for Airbnb such as for my listing, close to beach - have written 600 metres to beach you can walk,  can walk to the shops,

We do have instant book on we live on site and can see the number of people staying. I have written in the rules other guests staying or visiting must register and this was started with covid. They,have complyied, one I had to ask and it wasn't an issue. 

I do think  Super host as @J-Renato0 points out being a Super Host and  higher. Also if the price is right rate and good photo help.

@Laurelle3  there is no way for a guest to search 'close to the beach' or 'walk to the shops'  They search on location and then other filters that are pre-chosen, standard amenities. I do not type in keywords for these amenities, i've ticked them when I set up the listing. 

Google might find the listing based on words in your listing, although I just checked and the first 3 pages return generic STR sites and a bunch of blogs.