How do I block a previous guest from booking again?

Jon47
Level 2
Chisholm, MN

How do I block a previous guest from booking again?

I just had a very uncomfortable experience with a guest and don't want them to be able to book again . 

A little background....guest booked a 3 night stay with short notice....booked on a Wednesday for Friday arrival. They messaged no details about the nature of their visit, which was a red flag to me, and when I replied with a thankyou and the combination to the lockbox, got no reply. The guest replied late evening the night they were to arrive, simply saying "Thanks". They did not arrive until late Saturday, and messaged me looking for the password for the wifi, which is clearly written on a sheet I had along with a welcome note. Redflag 2. 

Late Saturday night, early Sunday morning, I received a message via Airbnb on my phone that the guest cancelled the booking. Reflag 3. They left a short message that they would be leaving in the morning, as their child was sick and needed to return home. I replied the next morning that I had received the cancellation notice , and wished them well and hoped their child was ok, and hoped they were able to enjoy their stay ..

Since they had cancelled, I went over the next morning , and there was a note on the door , stating "I left...your stuff is on the back porch". Redflag 4! Thankfully, they had put the key back in lockbox. I came in, and my jaw dropped when the TV and tv stand were missing from the living room! They had moved the TV and Tv stand into the bedroom, so was relieved it wasnt stolen. Another note in the living room about the "stuff on the back porch". Curious, I went to the back porch and saw a plastic bag with a pack of cigarettes, a woman's purse, and some other items. The kitchen was a mess....a take out container full of food on the table, a bag of potatoes,dirty dishes in the sink, a frying pan left out. The fridge had a full 12 pack of cola they'd left, a carton of eggs, and a bag of lettuce. It was apparent they had left in a hurry. 

Later that morning, the guest replied to my message and said he had to leave in the middle of the night, and that he had put the woman's items on the back porch because he didnt want her their alone, as his name was on the rental . He also stated he liked the place and wanted to rent again, possibly in December. No mention of moving the TV or all the items he'd left. I returned to the rental,  and saw the bag on the porch was gone. I replied to him, telling him that she may have been back as the bag was now gone. Also mentioned it was apparent he'd had to leave in a hurry, and hoped his kid was ok. No reply .

I dont want to rent to this person again. I felt very uncomfortable with the whole situation. Is there a way to block this guy?

2 Replies 2
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jon47 You need to report them first, via the little flag icon in the message stream. Then you’re given the option to block. It’s awkward, but is the only method Airbnb provides. 

Also be sure to review appropriately and click ‘would not host again’. Unfortunately, this does not actually prevent them from attempting to book with you again. Strange but true. 

Chris1492
Level 5
West Kirby, United Kingdom

@Jon47 were you successful in getting Airbnb to block this guest?

Chris, UK