How do I find someone to host my property

How do I find someone to host my property

Hi everyone, I’m new to hosting. We have recently bought a property in Edinburgh city centre and are planning to use it ourselves but also rent it out as our permanent home is about an hour away and we needed a place to stay when in the city for work. I’m wondering…how do you go about finding someone to be your host when you don’t yourself live in the city? I have seen some people I know who own properties and recently put them up on Airbnb but it appears to be hosted by someone else who has 7 years experience hosting. Thanks for your help!

8 Replies 8
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Eliana264 

There are a lot of agencies here in London that provide these services so I am sure there must be some in Edinburgh.

If you don't want to go that route and would prefer to hire an individual, I would repost your thread with the title 'Looking for experienced co-host in Edinburgh' and ask people to DM you if they are interested. Then you can check out their profiles and reviews.

Thanks so much for this advice, will repost and see if I can find someone in Edinburgh 👍🏻

Flav656
Level 2
Southampton, United Kingdom

Hello @Eliana264, I am in a similar situation, and I was wondering whether you managed to find a host in that way? If so, what is/was your experience and would you recommend it? 

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

If you're only an hour away, you could manage it yourself and do the changeovers. That way you are in control, you see what maintenance is required in good time, you're not relying on having to trust someone else who might not have a keen eye for detail and will not care to the same extent as the owner.

We have a property 90+ miles away, a two hour drive, and we do all our own changeovers in addition to a cottage we also let by our home. We did initially try a cleaning service for the remoter place, but it did not work out well. Our standards were not kept up, despite clear instructions. In addition, doing it all ourselves, even with the 180-odd mile round trip, is more cost-effective than paying someone else, plus laundry fees.

In fact, we did all our own changeovers with three properties for some years, while working full time. It just takes planning. It's a lot easier now we are retired and with two properties, though.

Finally, are you aware of the new licensing obligation being legislated by the Scottish Government?

Hi Fiona, thanks for your reply. I have to say I had thought about the standards of cleaning companies, I have used cleaners before and they have never done the same job as I would have done personally. But then I take ages cleaning…and yes the cost of it all is something that made me think if it would be worth it all. We are lucky though to have bought a flat that has been used as an Airbnb short term let for over 10 years so it would be able to continue being used as that. It’s super central so great for location but perhaps I’d need to think about the cleaning and best options. I have 4 homeschooled kids so need to weigh that up ☺️

Alba511
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi Eliana,

I have also recently bought a flat in Edinburgh, which in principle was for my own use, but due to my personal circumstances, I'm considering letting in AirBnB.

I've been reading that there are the new STR legislation being introduced for Scotland.

May I ask you why do you mention that you were lucky because the flat has been used as an Airbnb short term let for over 10 years so you would be able to continue to use it as that?

Is this fact something that will help to obtain the license?

Thanks for your help

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Eliana264 

I think @Fiona256 's suggestion is very good if you have the time, but it sounds like you don't. I am also not sure if it makes sense if you are planning to take short stays, e.g. 2-3 days, because you could potentially be spending at least half a day every 2-3 days turning over the Airbnb. 

I also used to clean everything myself and only got in professional cleaners fairly recently and it was headache and I live at the listing!  @Fiona256 is right though that it's really hard to find cleaners to clean to the same standard as a conscientious host, which is why I still always turn over the bedrooms myself. But, you have to consider if that is feasible for you. Like you, I feel like I do a better job, but it takes me hours and hours longer.

Hi Eliana,

I would be happy to talk further with you about the property if you are still into hosting.