How does this happen?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

How does this happen?

We have instant book. As new hosts Airbnb Customer Service informed us that we couldn't be superhosts without it and would not get bookings (wrong on all counts). So we turned it on and have had it since only turning it off during our state lockdown. I like that you can see the overall ratings of guests with IB for exactly the situation I am about to share. 

We have a reservation with a 4 overall rating and 3/3.5 stars in two categories from two hosts which are the only reviews. The written feedback is glowing. There is no indication whatsoever as to why these guests were marked down in two categories. There is no feedback from this guest on either host profile that might indicate any conflict. So I wonder what the issue might be.  It could be one host of the two that pulled the score down.

So are the hosts in this case just trying to send a "secret message" with the star rating and trying to preserve their own score by not saying anything that wasn't super positive? Not everyone can even see these ratings so why is this even an option? Would you contact the hosts that left ratings to find out what the deal is?

16 Replies 16

@Jennie71 

You can write a review that would tip off other hosts without personally attacking the guest. Something like "XX would be more comfortable in a hotel where he has more freedom to follow his routine. As home share homes, we found ourselves on opposite sleep schedules."

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

So the stay is over and now I understand the ratings.  The guest got low scores on communication from other hosts but made a huge effort to be friendly and ask a lot of questions so I can't fault that. They used every single towel and sheet in the house, asked us to leave them some beer (we usually leave a bottle of wine or food but they requested beer) didn't drink that but filled a trash bag full of cans of a different kind (3 day stay. Huge trash can.) Rearranged furniture and did not put it back. Left the downstairs spotless but the upstairs bathroom was full of dirty footprints on the walls and all over the tub and shower. It was as though they had someone come in and clean the downstairs and that person didn't venture upstairs at all-- truly strange. I suspect there were more people than the reservation mentioned as there were so many sheet sets used (we only have two beds. I am thinking they brought an air mattress themselves in addition.) We saw one car on the ring but my thought is that they had several young kids from some of the candy wrappers and mess they left behind. Other hosts have not responded to me about their concerns. I would like to leave an honest review. This is a weird one.