How to Start Fixing Airbnb CS and Many Common Issues

Answered!
Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

How to Start Fixing Airbnb CS and Many Common Issues

Since the Airbnb customer service team is too busy virtue signaling to do any real work or solve any problems, I thought I would spend some time today doing what I believe is the ultimate form of trolling:  doing their job for them, and doing it better.  The following is a list of things that would make everyone’s lives involved with Airbnb better and would probably save them money when they didn’t have to take one angry cs call and BBB complaint after the other.  I think it has become obvious to most of the long term hosts that Airbnb’s cs policies are written by greedy sociopaths with no clue.  Also, everything here could be instituted in less than a week, so…

I.  I like to think I speak for all experienced hosts when I say: the Cancellation Policies and everything tied to them are savage bad. Keep it honest by keeping it simple. Policies should be:

1. Flexible – Cancel any time, receive full refund (including Airbnb service fees)
  2. Moderate – Cancel any time, receive half refund (including Airbnb service fees)
  3. Strict – Cancel any time, receive no refund, no exceptions

This ties into the next problem that has become rampant, unaddressed poor guest behavior.

II.  The majority of guests are great, but some just aren’t, and some are plain terrible.  In its race to fill a vault of gold the size of scrooge McDuck, they hope to take literally every single guest that tests out the platform.  This isn’t naïve, it’s predatory.  Not everyone in the entire world treats everyone else with respect, not even *gasp* under perfect circumstances.  Guest are called ‘guests’ because they are staying in people’s homes!  Any human with a basic modicum of common sense would read a host’s house rules and respect basics like cleaning up after themselves, or not turning house into a party. Guests that have not yet learned these basics of life, it is not hosts’ responsibility to nurture them to full personhood. I got five stars on every one of my over 20 guest journeys, it wasn’t hard! Airbnb, if you want to parent the whole world offer a free class, not my home!

With bad guests, this is how typical stay goes:

1. Ask guest to clean up their dishes or remind them they don’t have extra guests registered.
  2. 50/50 maybe guest complies, maybe they totally ignore me.
  3. Guest leaves me bad review for asking them to follow house rules (retaliation).
  4. Some of these guests then ask for refund, and actually get them after admitting breaking house rules!
  5. Guest knows how system works and wants cancellation, so they just start becoming 100% more obnoxious trying to push a cancellation from my end (OMG these are the worst)
  6. In off season when prices are low, you get more less-than-stellar guests, then this situation snowballs out of control. One guest sees a dirty plate in sink, starts leaving their own dirty dishes, stops cleaning stove, etc.  I often then get left in some cases with house full of people who make me their servant for a month, then *best part* still leave me a review that says place wasn’t clean or I called them out asking them to clean.  Hilarious!
  7. Some of these guests even sabotage your home, still get refunds. A man this week turned a tube in my toilet upside down, it ran water constantly all night until someone caught it.  Airbnb gave him full refund…
  8. Worst possible scenario: guest does something downright icky, you tell them it’s a no-go. You leave them less than stellar review, then read they left you a great review because they didn’t actually hold it against you for wanting your home respected.  This guest actually improves behavior, but still gets left with bad review, hate this one the most because then I actually feel bad.

How do you fix this you ask?  You put more some more power back in host hands, where it belongs.  The review system just brings out the worst in human nature sometimes, I will say confidently after experience, it’s not good.  Guests already use it as leverage, and hosts get tired of playing judge, jury, and executioner.  You see all the time in forums host doesn’t know how to review guest.  Replace it with Endorsement system, you are already half way there and it would be easy.  Endorsement would go like this:

Prompt guest at end of stay: “Did you enjoy your stay? If so give the host a thumbs up!” On both listing and host page, have number of endorsements with all the shiny faces lined up like it is now in a stack, and the number of total stays right next to it.  You can calculate it into % if you like, I know Airbnb another company obsessed with metrics.

Spidersedited2.png

When a guest breaks host house rules, they shouldn’t be able to slander you in review in return.  This solves that issue by putting the appropriate amount of weight on one stay.  It also solves problem of host having to be executioner, there is a difference between having to disapprove of someone and just not giving them approval.  Guest accounts in the same way would show number of badges vs number of stays. 

Any cancellations would increase stay count without increasing badge count (picture included for example).  This way hosts can see that guests have cancelled or at least not perfect track record, information they should be entitled to, but still, Airbnb should love this, nobody has to act in any negative fashion. Require hosts to choose yes or no to issuing the Endorsement/badge.  If a guest fails to choose yes or no on first trip, prompt when they try to book second time and remind them the hosts that run these listings are people who work very hard to provide them with a nice place to stay.  So many problems solved with zero money investment and zero negativity. (Let me put Endorsements on autopilot also, please and thank you.)

To wrap up cancellations, give hosts a button that says “This guest is not following my house rules.”  Pressing this button would have airbnb team follow up.  Call up the guest after first strike, remind them of this policy, ask them nicely to clean their dishes.  Remind them again that hosts are hard-working normal people and *Airbnb always supports them*. At this point button turns into ‘Cancel this reservation with no penalty.”  It is not fair to support abuse, it is enabling. When a guest is abusing host in obvious way and asked to stop, if host can provide *proof or pictures that behavior continues, the reservation should be cancelled without a refund.* Abusing my home is not an excuse to break the payment arrangement, the days have still been blocked so no one else can book them.

In that same vein: Stop. Asking. Hosts. To. Issue. Refunds. Against. Cancellation. Policy.  Stop, just stop.  You do this as your general policy to save money by relocating guest to another airbnb, at the expense of the kind hosts here and there that are inclined to say yes to be ‘agreeable’ but then are left with empty calendar. It is obviously in bad faith to do this as a general policy when the cancellation policies lead hosts to believe otherwise.  I’ll say it again loud and clear: THIS IS OBVIOUS BAD LEGAL FAITH.  If you had ever had a job where liability is measured in decision making, I think it’s absurd you’ve ran with this policy so long, it’s so obviously illegal, unethical, and an albatross hanging around your neck.  Stop.

III.  Finally, I’ve been ranting about this for two whole years with zero result, fix the messaging system.  When a guest books through the website instead of the app, messages do not populate in real time.  The guest must refresh the browser window to see if they have a new message.  I doubt most guests realize this as it is so archaic (we have had this feature since Aol Instant messenger and IRC, the tech sooooo old).  Again, hint for computer sciences team, Ajax and javascript can accomplish this ezpz.  This way if guest wants to ask a question before or during booking, or mentions something that means listing may not be the best fit, we can respond immediately!  Them checking their email days later or never at all means they just don’t even get some of the messages they are sent. Please just fix the messaging, you would have less complaints because communication would be improved. Do the fancy one where the bubbles pop us as someone starts typing on other end.

Require government ID for all hosts and guests.  This is required for car rental and of course should be required for home rentals. When guests are reported to airbnb for house rule violation, inform them they will be required to put down a basic $100 deposit to book in future.  This will discourage people that have no intent of being responsible without weeding out the responsible ones who made a small or tiny mistake.  If said house guests violates somewhere else, gasp, give $100 to the two hosts, split it, you love fairness.

Another easy way to cut down on cs calls and unhappy hosts/guests. Use the cleaning fee.  Make it a prompt they approve during booking, use color, it would go something like this:

Private Room $0 - $20, Whole House $50 - $100 – “This listing has a Low Cost cleaning fee.  You are expected to wash your dishes, clean up after yourself in the kitchen, and put your belongings away.  Guests who do not clean up at these reservations can be cancelled without refund*.”

Private Room >$20, Whole House > $100 – “This listing has a Full Service cleaning fee.  All cleaning will be taken care of by the host.  Please do not abuse host homes thanks!”

You could even allow hosts to offer both and let the guest choose one.  This would be key, *the guest making a choice and the host making a choice.* The overwhelming majority of hosts and guests WILL choose option one, and everyone will be better informed of their responsibilities.  Also potential upsells!  Also, again, problem fixed with zero negativity and practically zero cost.

While these are not All the Things, it is the probably the most important things that should happen.  The overwhelming majority of Airbnb problems come from Airbnb ignoring the concept of Consent.  It is what is missing in all their cs decisions and policies, and what is available in all these solutions.  This has already gone so far over the top, halfway measures are not agreeable or appreciated.  The thing with cancellations and guests just starting to run rampant over hosts with no recourse has gotten insane, and the number of posts in the forums about it should be telling to the Airbnb overlords, so I really just don’t get it.  Each of these hosts is your front facing customer service team, you want them all to be happy and appreciated, not filled with resentment!  How can you possibly expect that to work out in long run?

Airbnb, stop being fake, do these things.  Looking at you Laura, new CS team lead, do something honest for your hosts, a "Celebration of Superhosts Week" isn't it.  You could do all this in a week, it would cost little to nothing, and all your hosts would be happy again(mostly).

1 Best Answer
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Tony134, thanks for your considered post - I agree with everything you've said. The review system in particular is utterly broken. I do more and more and more for my guests and my overall rating and review rate just keeps dropping thanks to the thesis they now need to write and the ridiculous question the overall rating is based on. I agree that a simple endorsement system is all that is needed to prevent the slinging matches and retaliatory reviews than can and do occur. Hosts should also be allowed to have unfair reviews removed, in particular those in which guests complain about things that ARE CLEARLY STATED ON THE LISTING! (such as no TV, dog on the property, shared facilities, access areas, etc.) If the guest can't be bothered reading the listing before they book it and review negatively based on their false expectations, then the review should be removed. If a review is based on false accusations, it should be removed. If the review is based on things outside of the host's control (e.g. location, weather, mosquitoes outside, proximity to shops/restaurants, etc.), it should be removed. Why are hosts continually punished for guests' bad behaviour or inability to read past the first two lines?

82 Replies 82
Coldo0
Level 3
San Diego, CA

@Sarah977i was waiting or Airbnb final decision. Will be up in the next 10 minutes .

Chris1537
Level 6
Nedlands, Australia

The only way Airbnb is going to pay attention to the requirements of hosts is if we talk with out feet.

We don't have to leave Airbnb entirely but we should definately be listing on other sites as well.

I am currently getting more bookings and better service from Homeaway.

If all hosts listed with Airbnb, lists with Homeaway as well, it will have no bearing on our income, but it will halve Airbnb's income and then they may start to actually value us hosts.

Airbnb's poor customer service for hosts, has opened the door for competition and this competion benefits us hosts, but only if we take it up.

Please, if you read this, feel free to cut and paste it in any thread where you see it relevant so that many can see it.

@Chris1537 Unfortunately, you can't list shared-home accomodations on Homeaway or VRBO. Any other suggestions? I'd love some alternatives.

I've not looked beyond Airbnb and Homeaway. I looked at Bookings.com but really don't like their payout methods so I'm not listing with them.

It might be worth making a thread specific to discussing alternatives to Airbnb.

There really seems to be an opening for someone to come in in and replicate what Airbnb are doing. With improved customer service, they could take a lot of their business.

@Chris1537 Yes, I know there's Booking.com, but friends' experiences listing with them, at least here in Mexico, was horrid. They got terrible quality of guests and NEVER got paid.

The market is ripe for a new platform which actually cares about its users. And is actually run by people who host.

The only thing that would work for Airbnb to actually step up to the plate would be a general strike- all hosts pause their listings for a week. Wonder how they'd like ZERO booking fees coming in? 

I had concidered that but I doubt we could organise it to the degree that it would be noticed.

Getting many of us that can, to list on other sites is doable over time by keeping it topical on this forum.

This would reduce airbnbs income, not just for a day, but ongoing.

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Hi Everyone!

I'm posting this message in a couple different forum posts today. Each one is a thread where we are unhappy with Airbnb, and that is still active (i got upvotes in each one of these in last week or two).

Airbnb is pretty rapidly turning from an excellent opportunity into a full on disaster.  This new head of customer service Laura Chambers is exactly the game player I told you all she would be.  All games and no results.  Her qualifications are literally in online reviews, not vacation rentals.  She literally knows nothing about our business, just about 'how to keep people happy.'

In the last 8 months, we have seen Airbnb reverse on exactly zero bad decisions.  They have not reversed the cancellation policy that most hosts saw as an insult.  They have continued holding payments longer and longer (sometimes I get paid 5 - 7 days after a listing shows up and checks in now).  They have done nothing about bookings being made with no payment method on file.  They have done nothing about their insane 'refund any guest, at any time, in any place' policy.  The worst part of all of this is they struck up a conversations claiming they wanted to listen on each of these issues, then ignored obvious and overwhelming feedback.

Everyday with guests checking in and guests in my home, at this point, I just feel taken advantage of by Airbnb over and over and over.  I see thousands of complaints here in this forum that basically sum up to Airbnb using us like cheap disposable employees that they don't have to insure, or even really pay in many cases.  I know many of you feel the same way, and have been frustrated by Airbnb's lack of response.

Point Blank:  If you feel this way, taken advantage of by Airbnb, deceived and tricked into being a min wage employee and donating your own house to do it, the only smart thing to do is start complaining with the justice department.  The Better Business Bureau has already been flooded with Airbnb complaints, but Airbnb stepped in and bought someone off for an A+, so no help there.  The last and best option is to flood the justice department with complaints until they finally stop Airbnb from tricking people into being min wage employees.

Please, I beg you, if you are having these problems, do not be complacent, they are getting worse, call the justice department today.  If you are going to post in this thread, please first contact JD and then post here confirming you did it.  Thanks!AirbnbBBBRatingPingPong.png

I do not really think that this is a justice department issue... I think we hit em in the pocketbook and quit listing our properties with them. I have never been happy with the way they run their business. They get paid immediately but pay me 4-5 days AFTER the guest arrives, will not let me have conversations outside of ABnB with my prospective guests, and NOW I cannot even see who I am renting to.  SND just try to get help from them! IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

I am not impressed with the clientele either... many (MANY!) want to rent for less than my stated prices and then be really pigs in my homes!  I have put my listings on vacation until my June reservation in done.... then I am dropping out totally. VRBO has ALWAYS had better clientele for me and I get my money within a 3-5 days of payment.... not later when the client shows up... which in many cases is 2-4 months away...I get to communicate with the guests as soon as they send an inquiry....outside of the site! AND I can get issues solved with a person at VRBO if I have any issue... 

i really think that hitting ABnB in the pocketbook is a better plan than getting the government involved and screwing up this relatively unregulated sweet spot for ya all. It will be soon enough that the government will figure out how to regulate us all out of business 

@Marcia64  Unfortunately, that doesn't work for all of us. You can't list a private room in a home on VRBO, only whole place listings. And booking.com has a terrible rep, at least here in Mexico. A friend tried it out for awhile- not only did she get the absolute worst quality of guests, she never got paid, at all.

Well I don't know waht to tell you.  I DO know that involving the government in any issue...especially one that they see $$$ signs in...will bring more regulations and inspections and cost us all more money and essentially ruin these little mom and pop businesses.  I have had the same dreadful experience as you speak about, with AirBnB. and with Trip Advisor.  Almost had to go to court with TA just to get paid....I do think that AirBnB has forgotten what their role in OUR business is....I am just sorry that this photo thing happened but it just reinforces my dissatisfaction with AirBnB.  They totally miss the big picture...Which is .......The owner of a business decides how to run his/her business.  

1. Airbnb is certainly no longer anything like a mom and pop kind of business.

2. What's been going on here is pure employment fraud on maybe the most massive level in history.

I did not sign up to be a minimum wage employee for Airbnb, but that's what I ended up being after all the tricks and switched policies at the end of the day. The only thing worse than that is that the trick involved a massive investment of time, money, furniture, property, etc. Airbnb is starting to make Ponzi scheme look like total amateur hour, it gets worse every day. Some of us specifically picked property, furniture, etc for Airbnb, we didn't all fall into it randomly. Massive. Fraud. I have over 20 refunds issued against my will in last year, and that's just to start the conversation. That was all my profit of any and is the same for many others. Walking away from years of your life and thousands of dollars in resources so Airbnb can bathe in gold is a non starter.

I say lets to both...except as a different legal collective action that will lead to legislation about these multibillion millennial unicorns who've been sidestepping the unions and tax law and doing nothing commensurate for the communities and individuals they so handsomely profit from.

Serghei3
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

We are triyng to develop another Platform and Start it in Dubai first. If it will work well, maybe that will be the answer to all our issues.
Somehow i feel that big and good brands are made from facing the issues with other big brands. Like for example Lamborghini was created because Ferrari was not good enough.
Lets see...

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Wondering if I should just go ahead and write a book. Every day something new to add from Airbnb AMAZING cs team.

Today: a guest leaves this morning and leaves note on my neighbor's mailbox with name and number and days he dinged it. Neighbor sees note and immediately knocks on my door because this isn't the first time a guest had hit his mailbox.

So last time, airbnb says: "do you have video of guest hitting mailbox ? No? Too bad, so sad."

This time, I have a note from guest, but *we all know mailbox was already damaged* , I'll give you one guess what Airbnb recommends: filing claim against new guest who was only one nice enough to leave a note. Then when I argued with them about blaming one guest for the mistakes of many, they suggested I send him a partial bill and cover the rest myself, like I hit the mailbox.

I really really hate the CS team with Airbnb.

AND  they are preparing to go public!