How to avoid 3rd party bookings with self check in?

Answered!
Victoria1583
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

How to avoid 3rd party bookings with self check in?

I've been on the platform for less than a week and had to cancel 2 bookings already due to guests seeking to subvert the rules and book for 3rd parties.

Currently I have host check in  but if, in the future, I change to self check in I'm interested to know how hosts, in these situations,  ensure the person in the property is the one who actually booked?

Thanks 

1 Best Answer

Hi,

Good to hear that you were able to uncover a 3rd party before the check-in date. My listing is self-check and I've included in my House Rules that only registered guests are allowed. I use a Ring doorbell/camera to at least view the number of guests going in and look for the primary guest. I also mention in my listing description that I have external facing security cameras and another rule stating that these cameras must remain unobstructed and untampered. 

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi,

Good to hear that you were able to uncover a 3rd party before the check-in date. My listing is self-check and I've included in my House Rules that only registered guests are allowed. I use a Ring doorbell/camera to at least view the number of guests going in and look for the primary guest. I also mention in my listing description that I have external facing security cameras and another rule stating that these cameras must remain unobstructed and untampered. 

Patricia, I have installed outdoor security cameras but still have had 3rd party bookings and in fact just got suspended because the 3rd party person stated the property didn't look like the photo, rules were too excessive, didn't like location.  I asked Airbnb how I could be suspended on reviews from people who are not registered with Airbnb and the person who is registered with Airbnb did not show up on my security cameras as the person staying in my unit?  I'm really hot about this so I'm searching for what other hosts are doing about these 3rd party bookings.  I have called Airbnb in the past and notified them of such and they called me back and asked if the guest could stay?  What? I've been a host since 2015 with two units and the guests have continued to want more  for less money, but are critical of what they choose to book.  Parents are using their names, but putting their child's photo on the account.  When I called to verify who was going in and out of my unit because that person did not look like the profile photo, the mother just kept saying, "she's a good girl".  Her profile is still this way.  

Victoria1583
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

That sounds like a good plan @Patricia3408  and thanks for sharing.

Have a great weekend!

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hey @Victoria1583 @Patricia3408 these are some really good tips! I've started a topic today about red flags for parties and other risky bookings to have all tips in one central place. It'd be amazing if we could get your input too! 

You can find my post here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/What-are-your-red-flags-for-a-potential-party-booking/td...

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Kristine193
Level 2
New Paltz, NY

Also, please be aware of sex trafficking. I had a 3rd party booking from a woman who said she was booking for her aunt and cousin. The person who lives downstairs let me know that the guests were a middle-aged man and a child. The apt was a mess. drugs and alcohol, and all kinds of fluids on the bed. People find out very quickly and spread the word in this trafficking community which airbnbs are lenient with their rules.