How to make compalint against airbnb in UK?

Arnab-Kumar0
Level 2
Warrington, United Kingdom

How to make compalint against airbnb in UK?

Hi,

If anybody knows how to make complaint against airbnb in UK, kindly let me know.

I faced severe safety issues during my stay but airbnb is not responding to my complaints. Now, they have removed my access to my message center. It is showing access denied when I am trying to see my messages.

19 Replies 19
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Arnab-Kumar0   It would seem that the Host you stayed with no longer has a listing on the Airbnb platform, and I suspect this is not only due to the issues you had, but given his previous reviews there may well have been a number of other complaints which would indicate that his rooms fell far below Airbnbs standards.

Any complaints or issues you had during the time of your stay should have been made within 24 -72 hours of check in and if the host did not resolve them then you should have then complained to Airbnb and provided photographic evidence to them at that point.  I am unsure if and when you reported to Airbnb but it it is unlikely that now, several months later, that the refund you want will be paid.  Perhaps one of the Admin team here can help escalate it for you.  @Jenny  ?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Thanks for tagging me @Kate867 - appreciate it.  I replied separately to OP to confirm I've given the Support team a nudge on this.  

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Arnab-Kumar0
Level 2

I complained on 8 May and again on 10 May. And continued to complaint to airbnb because they are not responding to my original complaint. They are only saying that the host didn't violate their discrimination policy when I said multiple times the host was so bad that he created unsafe enviornment. He only wanted money and no kind of support in return. Same is obviously true for airbnb because several times their "higher" team has contacted me and didn't refund or give any support when I first complained. Now, their message center team is giving me the 72 hour message. Probably, you have found that message and that is why mentioned that in your response.

I don't think that airbnb want to refund me. That is why I want to complaint against airbnb because I have the proofs against them.

I have a doubt that you are probably not independent and probably works for airbnb. That is why you are probably mentioning about escalating this problem.

If you know how I can make a complaint against airbnb, kindly let me know. I have tried all possible options within airbnb already.

A big company like airbnb should not hesitate to tell me the correct way to complaint against them in UK.

Kate867
Level 10

@Arnab-Kumar0   I can assure you that I do not work for Airbnb, I am just a host.  This forum is really just a discussion group and when we can help each other out with advice, we will.  I am trying to help you by tagging in a member of the Admin team on my previous answer to see if they can escalate your complaint. I can’t do it for you and it seems you are not getting very far with it either but sometimes our Admin Team, who work tirelessly on our behalf, can escalate it.

The 72 hours I mention, is the amount of time you have to make your complaint once the Host has refused to resolve it.  Airbnb Customer Support also seem to use this window of time to respond.

The problem here with your issue, is that the Host you stayed with seems to have left the platform, and most probably due to Airbnb delisting him rather than a voluntary decision based on his previous reviews.

Any refund you would get, would be recovered from this Host, but if he has left the platform and has no further ongoing bookings through Airbnb then there is no way for them to recover that money.  It does not however mean your complaint was not taken seriously.  Discrimination is taken extremely seriously by Airbnb but without proof such a witness/police report, racist/discriminatory messages on the app etc. it turns into a ‘he said, she said’ situation and they cannot possible arbitrate on that.  However, photographs of a dirty and unsanitary room (s), missing/broken amenities etc. are proof, and can be used as evidence.

I do hope things get resolved for you soon.

Arnab-Kumar0
Level 2

Just to clarify, I have said that there is no "discrimination" issue to you also. But just like airbnb, you simply used that into your response.

You said that you don't work for airbnb but you have not given any suggestion how I can make a complaint against airbnb which was my main question in this forum. I don't hope to get refund from your known airbnb contact person.

As I said earlier, I have all proofs, police report, photos, audio files, mails and everything is properly documented. I have enough material to sue airbnb in court but I want to make a complaint first in proper manner. If you know how, please tell me.

Kate867
Level 10

@Arnab-Kumar0  I only mention discrimination because you mentioned it… To clarify, It is one of the  things that Airbnb do not tolerate under any circumstances which also includes violence and invasion of privacy amongst other things.  I have absolutely no doubt, having read your review and others that you had a truly awful experience for which I do sympathise.

The only way to complain is through the channels which you have already tried, and results often vary depending on who you speak to.  This is why I have tried to help you by tagging in one of the Site Admin, @Jenny  to see if she can get someone else better informed to help you

Arnab-Kumar0
Level 2

I still think that there must be some way to complaint against airbnb like consumer protection method or inappropriate complaint handling by company. There must be some protection from the UK government. But thanks for your response.

@Arnab-Kumar0  Excellent advice from @Kate867 , despite rudely accusing her of being a secret agent. Airbnb doesn't allow its actual employees to participate in this forum, even when they would be useful. 

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but I wonder why you booked this stay in the first place. 2 out of the 4 previous reviews - a whole 50% - explicitly detailed how terribly dirty the house was. You could have spared yourself a lot of trouble if you'd just done 10 seconds of reading.

Arnab-Kumar0
Level 2

I am very surprised to see 2 thumbs up to this non-helpful comment which basically made me responsible for all of my troubles. What kind of community is this where people give thumbs up to this kind of comment which is not helping in any way?

@Arnab-Kumar0  You don't believe that you're even partly responsible for your troubles? The warnings were right there in front of your face and you ignored them, so this might make it a little harder to take your complaint seriously. 

Arnab-Kumar0
Level 2

I booked this because airbnb failed to provide me a better alternative when my original booking was cancelled on the last minute. Only airbnb is responsible for all the troubles and that is why I want to complaint against airbnb.

@Arnab-Kumar0  As a third-party broker, Airbnb is not legally required to provide alternative accommodation when a host cancels your booking. As per the terms of service, you're entitled to a full refund, but the choice you make about where to relocate is your own responsibility. I've been in that situation before too, and I know how frustrating it is to have to relocate at the last minute - especially if you're on a tight budget. It's a well-known risk, and a good reason to buy travel insurance.

The UK doesn't regulate Airbnb in many ways - there are no inspections or quality control - but one of the few consumer protections that do exist is that they're required to publish guests' reviews. If you have the bad experience that could be completely predicted from the prior reviews, them's the breaks. I honestly don't know whether the issues you experienced in the replacement stay would qualify for an additional refund, but you're not going to find a government ministry that's interested in intervening on your behalf. 

If you want Airbnb itself to listen to you complaining, they're more responsive on Twitter.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Arnab-Kumar0   I can't see the listing anymore, so maybe Airbnb has removed/suspended the host.  However, I have to agree with @Anonymous  that booking a new listing that hosts multiple guests that also has already half of guests mentioning the place is quite dirty, seems like asking for trouble.

I can't help you on what kind of consumer advocacy group is available in the UK, if any.

Arnab-Kumar0
Level 2

The review comments were not about safety. So, I am not responsible for my troubles.