How would you design a house to make it more AirBNB friendly?

Bryan533
Level 2
Pittsburgh, PA

How would you design a house to make it more AirBNB friendly?

Hi All:

New to the forum here.  We are in the process of designing and building a beach house.  Wanted to get some feedback from others about things they "wish their house had" or "what would you do differently" to better accommodate AirBNB renters.  It could be materials (more durable flooring), layout (more owners closets), or just whatever you thought "dang, I wish I had ..."  

So, what you say?  What changes from a traditional build would you do if you knew you were going to design your own AirBNB?

I look forward to your help!

Thanks,

Bryan

12 Replies 12
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Durable everything,  easy-clean surfaces that don't require special care, no nooks and crannies to get grungy.  Under counter drawers in bathroom and kitchen, rather than cupboards- easier to clean. With a beach house, an outdoor shower where people can rinse sand off before entering the house. Owner storage in separate, lockable area. Electrical plugs placed practically where people are likely to plug things in. Not too much on one circuit, so they don't blow breakers. 

@Bryan533 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Here is a recent post on the subject you may find helpful @Bryan533 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Building-a-new-vacation-home-to-rent-What-would-you-be-s...

Definitely keep it tough and durable. Airbnb guests can be hard on a space. Be prepared for them not to treat your listing with the care and attention you would.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Bryan533 my advise would be to keep everything straight forward and traditional. Dining room, living room, bedrooms, bathrooms. No walk-through spaces or anything that needs explanation. Another goal is to have as few rules as possible. If you have a pool for example, the around around it should be splash proof so you do not have a no splash rule, etc

Also, safety gates at the beginning of any stairs for isolating dogs and babies. You can do beautiful wrought iron ones that are stylish.

Debra48
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Make sure to tell guests to LIFT UP, not roll their luggage in your home. Put it in your rules, and reinforce it just before check-in. 

@Debra48 most guests do not read and those who do will not follow a rule like this particular when the owner is not around. The whole point of getting a roller luggage is to have hands free. If I arrive on vacation with hands full of kids and luggage, I am rolling it no matter what the rules say plus I will think that the owner is unreasonable. This is exactly my point- to have happy guests the owner should have as few rules as possible. If you do not want roller luggage, you should also have a rule of no toys with wheels, perhaps even better- no kids, no pets.  Ideally, guests that rent but do not actually show up and do not ask for a refund. Instead, @Bryan533 should use flooring that is durable. Stone or tile is perfectly appropriate for a beech house. 

I'm with @Inna22 on this one @Debra48 @Bryan533 

If you're catering to travelers you have to assume that at least some of them will have heavy suitcases, and not everyone will be able to lift and carry luggage while in the house. 

Absolutely agree about durable everything. Cleaning (floors, walls and all surfaces) should be as easy as possible. If you don't want people to place luggage on the bed, or drape wet towels on the furniture, then make sure you give them plenty of options that makes sense. If you have a luggage rack, it should be next to the closet, not on the other side of the room. 

And since you said it's a beach house...... please think about where people can hang wet bathing suits and beach towels.

I remember one time several years ago..... Henry and I were at a resort with friends and there was a note asking us to not use the wood clothes hangers for bathing suits, not drape wet beach towels on the furniture, and to hang wet things on the drying rack on the balcony. A group of 4 adults were in the Family Suite, the bathrooms both had ONE single towel hook on the door (no towel bar). no plastic or wire hangers were available, and the single drying rack on the balcony looked like this.... 1 meter long. 

캡처.JPG

There was no clothesline in the bathroom/shower either. (we couldn't seem to find it so we asked) There was seriously nowhere to hang wet towels or bathing suits (except on the wood furniture) and it was a pain the entire stay - we were all like......"what were they THINKING?!?!?! who designed this place?!?!?!?!?!"  

@Jessica-and-Henry0 our STRs were built without closets and when we bought them they had literally no place to hang anything or any place to put a suitcase but the floor. Rods, racks, and hooks were at the top of our list-- along with removing plenty of plastic flowers and adding cookware beyond the single roasting pan we found when renting the previous summer.

It's really true that all owners should either periodically stay at their homes or have candid friends do it.

The house I owed and lived in for 20 years in Canada was 100 years old. Not a closet anywhere. I guess people all used wardrobes back then. @Lisa723

Duplicate deleted

Smooth concrete floors are attractive, really durable, super easy to clean, the grey color goes with anything, look nice with some colorful throw rugs. A magic eraser will take marks off them. They'd be great in a beach house. Only downside is that if you drop anything breakable on them, it definitely has no chance of surviving.

@Bryan533 some great suggestions above, and one can't emphasize durable, easy-to-clean surfaces enough! That goes for the interior paint job as well.

A downside of renting a beach house on Airbnb is that you often have to book well before you can get a reliable weather forecast . A well-sheltered veranda or panoramic sunroom can help salvage beach holidays when rainy weather hits.