I've just had one of my oddest guest experiences and possibly my shortest ever stay

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I've just had one of my oddest guest experiences and possibly my shortest ever stay

Not 100% sure how to interpret this one. I don't want to seem paranoid, but after the unexpected 3* review I recently received, which will cost me my Superhost status, I'm starting to worry if I'm getting something really wrong.

A young local lady booked one of my rooms quite last minute for the Xmas/New Year period while she was waiting for her new apartment to be available (turns out it was last minute because the Airbnb host she was previously booked with nearby contracted COVID and had to cancel). She was supposed to stay for 2.5 weeks. 

This was the kind of guest I hope to receive. She had no reviews, but her communication was great, she seemed absolutely lovely, checked in early evening yesterday and said the house was beautiful. She went to work early the following day. As I hadn't seen her, I messaged later in the evening to ask if everything was okay or if she needed anything. She told me all was fine, she was visiting friends and would probably stay with them that evening, come back the following evening (today), leave again to visit family for Xmas and then be back.

Shortly after she returned this evening, she told me her plans had changed and that she might be away longer than she originally thought. A few minutes after that, she came back downstairs and told me she would be checking out now and not coming back and that she was sorry and hoped that was okay with me.

I told her that of course, if her plans had changed, that is fine, but I was worried that she was leaving because something was wrong. She assured me that everything was fine, she thought it was the prettiest, coolest house she had ever been in, I was super lovely etc. etc. and then a few minutes later, off she went.

She didn't ask for a refund, but I brought it up because I wasn't sure if she was assuming she would get one. I told her if she wanted to cancel the stay, I would open up the dates for a 10 day stay (don't normally do that as I host long term and 2.5 weeks was already lower than my usual 28 day minimum) and refund her any rebooked nights, although can't guarantee that at this short notice. She was interested, but seemed a bit uncomfortable even talking about that and kid of told me not to worry. I am waiting to see if she cancels or not.

Really not sure what to make of this. Should I be worried?

77 Replies 77
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Huma0  so, what is the worst-case scenario? If she doesn't leave a review you will probably rebook these nights and another guest will hopefully review you.

You said she is lovely, didn't complain, and didn't ask for any refund so it is not likely she will give you a low rating without any reason.

Even if you would lose your super host status don't worry, people book your place bc they like it and they can afford it and bc you have great reviews. They don't book it bc of your badge

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

I guess the worst case scenario is similar to the recent 3* rating, i.e. a guest who says everything is lovely but then slams you in the ratings because something was actually wrong, but they were too shy/polite to speak out about it.

I am probably wrong, but the sudden departure seemed slightly odd to me. It all makes perfect sense except why she left tonight to go stay somewhere far away from where she needs to work tomorrow, when my place is close by.

@Huma0  Is it possible she thinks the neighborhood is not as fantastic as the house? That could be a reason why she would decide on a longer commute for the one day.  Or there could be other logistical issues you aren't aware of that make going to the brother's house make sense.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

That's a very good question. I live in an urban, multi-cultural neighbourhood, which I have found int he past doesn't suit all international travellers who come here with an expectation of Downton Abbey.

However, this guest was a Londoner. She actually told me that, although she was from West London (generally posher), she thought South London was much more cool. In addition to that, she had previously booked a stay in Brixton (very close to my neighbourhood and way cooler, but also rougher) which got cancelled because the host got COVID. She said she was actually glad about that, i.e.

"Of course, I am not glad the host got COVID, but your place is much nicer and he was a boy. I much prefer to stay with girls."

So, I don't think the location was a factor in this case. It is very convenient for her work purposes so I don't understand why she suddenly went out of town to stay with her brother when that means she has to travel back into town for work.

I had a similar situation. My guest arrived at 3 pm. At 1am , while I was sleeping she texted and said that she needed to check out because of an emergency.  She requested a refund and my co host told her to request it through the application. We were happy to have given it to her if the site said it was ok. The site said that she would get a refund because she had already spent the night. We went out of our way to accommodate her in a very short notice. 
she left me a 3 star review that totally ruined superhost badge. She didn’t even bother to flush the toilet!!! What a horrible person .

Left me very unsettled 

Mayra

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mayra163 

Did she give any explanation or feedback for the 3 star rating? I can't see any negatively worded reviews on your profile.

@Helen744 I hate to disagree with you Branka and Silvia but guests here in Australia do use the superhost filter and enhanced cleaning  They are prepared to pay a little more also for both these things coupled with flexible cancellation

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Huma0  Yeah, I would guess that friends or family said 'hey, come stay with us for the holidays!!! and you can save all the money you would have spent on the flat' and it is nothing more than that.

If she comes back you could feel her out about doing a review.  I had a young woman cancel at the last minute, she bailed on her cousin's wedding [there is a long story here, but another time], and I was shocked she left a 5 star review, she had never even entered the state let alone the house.  Which, possibly as she hoped, motivated me to give her a 50% refund when she wasn't due to get anything.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

I did casually mention the review in the conversation just before she left. I hope I was not wrong in doing so.

I explained to her that if she cancelled, I would try to rebook the nights, but couldn't guarantee it. However, it might show up on her profile that she cancelled a booking last minute, but she shouldn't worry too much as I would leave her a good review anyway...

She didn't really respond about that bit.

So, after activated the cancellation, I messaged her again on the Airbnb system just reiterating what I had said about trying to rebook the nights. I also asked her again to let me know if anything was wrong:

"Please do, however, let me know if anything was wrong with the listing that made you want to leave early. I appreciate you already told me everything was fine, and it was just a change in plans, but I would rather have honest feedback if there was anything that did upset you so that I can rectify it if possible."

I would prefer to have everything on the Airbnb messaging system, just in case...

Although she activated the cancellation within a few minutes of leaving the house, she has not responded to my message.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Huma0 I would probably feel a bit paranoid too but I don't see anything immediately amiss here. 

I had a roommate once several years ago who rented her space, moved her furniture in, and basically disappeared for months. She didn't even unpack. She just lived at her boyfriend's. Eventually she figured out that it was a waste of $$ to rent my place as a storage facility and broke her lease early.  I would say it was probably the same kind of situation with you. Had some invite to stay elsewhere and just realized it was more financially prudent. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

Thank you. Yes, I am probably making a fuss out of nothing. Time will tell! I will certainly report back on the outcome (which is hopefully a 5* review!)

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ok, I am going to stop freaking out and just wait for the review if there is one. Here is the message I just got back:

"Hi Huma thanks so much. And no! Your house is so lovely and you are so hospitable, I just feel like I should spend as much time with my family as possible!
I would 100% recommend to my friends and sad I couldn’t stay a little longer to hang out with you and the cats!
Have a great Christmas and New Year!"

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Huma0 It may be that guest are just more up in the air during a spike in covid. You mentioned she had to find another place after another host was exposed. I've only had a few guest leave early and neither asked for a refund so in general most guest just abide by the agreement they made, and only communication is a brief message.  

I think you did the right thing to mention you would try and rebook the place. If she mentions you didn't issue a refund that could be removed. I would just wait and see. It seems unlikey someone would give a bad review during the holidays and not accept responsibility. 

My last guests who checked out yesterday were on their honeymoon but almost no communication. No goodbye message. No review so far. Just seems odd someone would act like that so close to Christmas. The ones right before them didn't take shower or use a single towel. Yuck. It may be that guest just act a little more strange when there is a covid spike. I think this one will work out for you and good you were proactive with communication when you have the chance, especially face to face! 

PS.. just seeing your last post now. Glad it worked out! 🙂 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John5097 

Yes, I believe you are right. These are odd times.

This particular guest mentioned that she didn't even get a chance to try out the lovely bathrooms. She didn't even shower here!

I guess I freaked out about nothing because a guest suddenly upped and left after spending only one night sleeping here, when she was booked for 2.5 weeks. Still, people's circumstances these days are so up in the air...

Anyway, she told me repeatedly that she loved the house so I am still hoping she will leave a review and a good one.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought up the refund issue, but seeing as she didn't, I wasn't really sure if she was automatically expecting one (some guests just do, not fully understanding the cancellation policies).