I want to come by and tour the place

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I want to come by and tour the place

This is a sort of different situation. We were featured in a Mother's Day guide by a local blogger who is very nice. Free exposure, got some more social media followers, but we are so booked that I am not sure it will make any impact on the bottom line.

This blogger asked if she can "tour" the space. We aren't there all the time and our next weekend that we have blocked involves a visit from extended family. I explained that and said "next time we have the neighbors over for wine, I will let you know." I don't give "tours" but I am happy to have her over socially sometime if it ends up working out.

She has now asked if she and her sister "who just got a new Jeep" can have the address for their drive around the area. I explained we have guests pretty much all of May so its not possible. The response was "really? Okay we can do it next week." She isn't picking up what I am putting down and it starting to get awkward. Help me out with a response that explains that tours are not really a thing that ABB hosts do and our guests will probably not be thrilled about the new Jeep rolling up while they sit on the porch.

19 Replies 19
Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Laura2592 I would thank her for her article letting her know it was very kind. Be straight up with her letting her know that you do not provide tours or the address for safety reasons. I would offer her a small discount on your midweek days in June that are still available. If she and her sister would like to rent it as a getaway/ social media experience.

Jorge

@Angelica-Y-Jorge0 yeah I thought about offering a discount on a future stay for the exposure.  Maybe thats what she's angling for. 

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

Make it happen!! **

**[Personal remarks removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

**[Personal remarks removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Laura2592 this request strikes me as a little odd. She already featured your place: why does she need a tour at this point? If she was planning on taking pictures for her post, that would make sense, but why now?  Is she angling for a free stay or something?

I would just let her know that it's not possible to tour the property while you have guests, because they expect the place they booked to be private. You can mention that you will get in touch in June if the Airbnb is vacant. I would leave it at that. Then I think I would just leave it and not contact her again. She seems pushy and her motives seem like they could be a little dubious (although it's possible she's just nosy). 

@Alexandra316 someone  commented  on the blog post that they thought it looks do cute and she said  "yeah I'm going to check ot out and take pics. Stay tuned. " This is not something she discussed with me and we provided pictures for the post she did. I think she may want some combination of content and a discount. The next time she asks I'm just going to have to be very direct and inquire as to what she's hoping to accomplish during this proposed visit.  I'm not comfortable with her taking photos and doing an opinion piece,  nice though she seems to be. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Laura2592  

I also find it a little strange that she wants to come tour Your place after already having featured it on her blog. My guess is: If You do give her a tour she may come to You and suggest how the both of You can „cooperate“ in the future. You don't need any help though, as Your calendar shows that You're pretty much booked up till september already.

My suggestion would be to generally refuse the tour in a nice way, but You could give her a $20 or $50 amazon gift card for her efforts so far. All You need to have to do that is her email-adress.

You never know how people are. If You ignore her she may be unhappy and write strange things about Your place, like:

• Nice place but terrible driveway. You really need a jeep to get there

@Ute42 yes I agree.  I'm fine with having her over when we are there as we do sometimes entertain friends and family in that space.  But its not really possible to block off time so that she can check it out on a weekend that we are booked. 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Laura2592  The part that isn't quite clear to me is what agreement was made up-front in exchange for the feature, if any. 

Did the blogger just feature you without your knowledge or permission ? In which case, I wouldn't feel like I owe them anything except "Thank you". 

If you were aware that the blog post was forthcoming, I think it's perhaps naive to think it was really going to be "free". 

@Michelle53 that's just it. There was no agreement. She did ask if she could feature us and for some pics. I said sure, thanks and sent her some and some verbiage. The post is out now and it's been a week or 2.  As I say I have not noticed any bookings or increased traffic.   She did ask if we wanted to advertise in the future  (paid) and I said I'd think about it.  

She features local businesses and event stuff. A friend who has a business was written up last year and recommended us to her. The friend said she never asked for anything and came by once to talk with her about what the blog would say (pre Covid). She never asked for anything after. I was thinking it was just because we are still distanced that she sent everything via email. But now she wants a tour. Odd. 

@Laura2592  Personally, I wouldn't have sent her any pics and verbiage without an up-front agreement.     You obviously like the "free" exposure, even though you don't really need it. 

I think, in this case, you should offer something "free"  in return, and then call it case closed. 

@Michelle53 lol it wasn't a case of liking it as much as we were approached because of a referral and sure, why not. We had a travel blogger feature us without contacting us once. They pulled pics and an old price from our listing.  I'm STILL getting requests that want us to honor that 2019 price! I guess I figured this was a way to get in front of that sort of situation. But yes I agree.  Obviously this person wants a tit for tat. 

@Laura2592    Early in business I learned what's called the "TANSTAAFL" principle. "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch". 

I agree with @Michelle53 and I would not have sent her any pics, unless there was a clear negotiation about the cost of the article, or if she said it would cost nothing.

It was kind of "trap" to ask for advertise in her blog or to get a free stay.

@Ute42 It is a good idea, but maybe the blog author wants more than $50 ! 🙂

Laura2592 , you could have known if some guest reached you because of the article if you had  asked her to place a code on the article. So the guest could inform you the code when they contacted you.