I want to come by and tour the place

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I want to come by and tour the place

This is a sort of different situation. We were featured in a Mother's Day guide by a local blogger who is very nice. Free exposure, got some more social media followers, but we are so booked that I am not sure it will make any impact on the bottom line.

This blogger asked if she can "tour" the space. We aren't there all the time and our next weekend that we have blocked involves a visit from extended family. I explained that and said "next time we have the neighbors over for wine, I will let you know." I don't give "tours" but I am happy to have her over socially sometime if it ends up working out.

She has now asked if she and her sister "who just got a new Jeep" can have the address for their drive around the area. I explained we have guests pretty much all of May so its not possible. The response was "really? Okay we can do it next week." She isn't picking up what I am putting down and it starting to get awkward. Help me out with a response that explains that tours are not really a thing that ABB hosts do and our guests will probably not be thrilled about the new Jeep rolling up while they sit on the porch.

19 Replies 19

@J-Renato0  there was a request in the article to mention the blog when booking, but no one has done so yet.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  You say she's really nice, but the sense I am getting from her insistence and lack of acknowledgment of what you have told her is that she has what seems to be the prevalent attitude of bloggers and "influencers", which is one of "me, me" entitlement. It's all about the number of followers and hits on their site. 

I would just be straightforward with her as to no, that won't be possible, this is our business that we run as we see fit, which includes ensuring guest privacy,  just as she runs her business as she sees fit.

@Sarah977yes I am getting that, a bit late LOL. She didn't ask for anything. I think I am being set up to offer a freebie. The only thing that seems weird is that she isn't implying she wants to stay, more that she just wants to nose around. If she said "my sister and I are looking to get away for a girl's weekend" I would understand what she wanted a lot more easily. The drive by in the new Jeep is a little puzzling.

This isn't passing the smell test. There's a well known scam where "influencers" angle for free visits in exchange for exposure. She doesn't need to see the property or drive around in her jeep. A lot of these people are young and raised in the school of "don't take no for an answer" and "I asked nicely" to wear you down.

The clue here is that you've explained your concerns and your position and she's not listening. Break it off. You're within your rights and guests deserve their privacy. Along with you don't want to find out that your listing was cloned with photos shot on site.

All of this is weird, so trust your gut. Or trust ours. Just say no and make it final.

@Christine615 well she certainly doesn't fit the profile of a youthful influencer-- she is in her late 50s and runs a blog about local businesses. I think she survives by advertising and she is one of those people who hangs out with city council members at events, etc. That is what throws me a bit. She's legitimately supportive of women-owned businesses, and as I say she had done a profile on a friend's shop (a bakery) and never asked to get freebies. I think she must be interested in content and something else. I just don't know what that "something" is. I do agree that its off. 

As I say, she is nice enough that I am happy to have her over socially. Anything else is off the table. Next time she asks I think I am going to say something like...

"We are so flattered that you are interested in touring our space. We would love to have you over next time we entertain there-- I will give you a date as soon as I have one. Because our guests book with us for privacy, it obviously wouldn't be appropriate to have you visit during a guest stay and our calendar is thankfully pretty full right now."