Ignore or decline inquiry after responding

Answered!
Sarika9
Level 2
Chgo, IL

Ignore or decline inquiry after responding

Hi all new to Airbnb. I know this question has come up several times but I see conflicting info. If someone sends an inquiry (not a booking request) AND I respond to them within 24 h (I usually do within minutes) , do I have to eventually decline or pre-approve? 
sometimes I don’t have all the info I need to pre-approve or decline or I’ve asked them a question needing clarity and the ball is in their court. In which case it would be strange to suddenly preapprove or decline. Will I get penalized if I ignore the reminder to preapprove/decline? I’ve read that for inquiries all that matters is getting any response back within 24 hours which can be a message. But I also read that you can get penalized for declining too many inquires. That doesn’t make any sense. Please advise. Thanks!!

1 Best Answer

@Colleen253 I know. When I get an inquiry from someone who I really don't want to host, I quickly block out one day during their preferred dates or increase the minimum over that timeframe.

View Best Answer in original post

44 Replies 44
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sarika9  Correct, all that's required for an inquiry is to answer. So there's really no need to ever decline an inquiry. I've pre-approved them before, but if the inquiry is inappropriate to what I offer, or sends up red flags, I just message back, letting them know why it wouldn't be a good fit and that's all.

You will apparently get warnings from Airbnb for too many declines (low Acceptance rate),  so that's why you shouldn't waste them on an Inquiry, only use them for requests you don't want to accept (and even then, you can sometimes get the guest to withdraw the request so you don't have to decline).

Sarika9
Level 2
Chgo, IL

Thanks! This is SO helpful. 

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Sarika9 ,

You’re doing well and right! 
Airbnb host respond rate is also counted by the guest inquiries messages.

Beside the host need to respond by “ accept or decline” to the potential guest, host is necessary to make a decision with  1 or 2 or 3 selections  [as below] to the new messages of every guest.

1. Pre-approved 
  2. Decline
  3. Special offer   
    Therefore, the guest can be quickly to decide to make the reservations and to be more convenient for their travelers plan  by using the Airbnb booking platform.

This is to help out to increase the host of the response rate and to issue the convenience for the guest to reserved between the next  24hours.

Be mindful, beside to the decline frequently issues , getting warning by Airbnb,  the “pre-approve”  option will also effective the date by blocking in the calendar of 24 hours for the potential guest.

As in the host Home page, can easily find the Airbnb reminder  in every guest inquiry messagesAs in the host Home page, can easily find the Airbnb reminder in every guest inquiry messages

Happy Hosting  

@Dale711 I am afraid some of what you say is wrong. You just need to answer an inquiry. There is no need to approve or decline or send a special offer. I know because we have a 100% response rate and we only answer never pre-approve etc.

Sarika9
Level 2
Chgo, IL

@Dale711 im sorry but what you said is conflicting.  I don’t think I have to choose one of those. @Sarah977 @Can you help clarify?

@Sarika9 What Sarah said is correct.

“pre-approve”  option will also effective the date by blocking in the calendar of 24 hours for the potential guest.

This is not correct. The calendar stays open. Only a booking request blocks dates. 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/237/how-do-i-preapprove-a-guest

@Colleen253 ,

You are definitely right on your point of view, only the booking request block dates.

In my few experience, Airbnb do block my calendar 24 hrs to my pre approved guest, and that was not a booking request. That mean, Airbnb hosting tool may inaccurate and may lack of the correctly ?

Nevertheless, I do keep in mind that pre-approvals only give the guest the option to book—just like you can send multiple guests a pre-approval, a guest may have sent multiple hosts an inquiry.

@Dale711 Several Inquiring guests can be pre approved for the same dates, and those dates remain open until one of the guests claims them. A guest who is pre approved is then essentially able to book instantly. But it’s whichever guest is quickest on the draw that gets those dates, and all inquirers have equal opportunity chance. 

See more here, 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/237/how-do-i-preapprove-a-guest

• Your listing’s calendar is still marked as available when you pre-approve a guest.
  • You can offer multiple guests a pre-approval for the same dates. Once the space is filled, other guests will be automatically notified.

@Sarika9 I agree with all @Sarah977 has said. I personally do not pre-approve as it may irritate guests as it continuously chases them for 24 hours until it expires.

If you choose to pre-approve then you have the choice of blocking the dates or not blocking them. The latter is way more sensible

@Sarika9 ,

You have the point, host is not necessary to choose one of those.

By the ways, guest inquired will be appearing in your home page until you achieve each of its.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Sarika9  You are correct, as @Colleen253 and @Sarah977 confirmed:  with an inquiry, all you need do is answer.  Then your obligation is complete.  You don't have to decline it, even if you can tell it's not going to work.  It's only an inquiry.  

On the subject of pre-approvals - Airbnb will say "encourage the guest to book by pre-approving this inquiry."  But I've never found them to be very effective, have you?  I stopped giving pre-approvals after my first year.

@Ann72 Yes! One rarely even has the desire to pre approve an Inquiry as 9 out of 10 of them are asking for something inappropriate 🙄Answering is even a chore. I call it swatting flies.

@Colleen253  "Swatting flies" - 😂!  Shoo!  Go away!

@Colleen253  Maybe it's because a lot of the guests I've had inquiries from have been experienced Airbnb users, but many of my inquiries have consisted of legitimate questions just wanting to clarify something, rather than asking for me to waive some rule for them or asking for a discount. And when I pre-approve those, they normally go on to book. 

This doesn't seem to be most hosts' experience. We have metrics that show booking rate- views to bookings, but it would be interesting to see stats on the average % of pre-approved inquiries that become confirmed bookings.