Inconsistent reviews

Emma501
Level 2
Weymouth, United Kingdom

Inconsistent reviews

I have had a few guests who give me

5 stars for everything and then I receive 4 star overall.

I always thought that the star rating was calculated from the individual ratings.  

Am I now right in thinking that the guest decides the overall rating? 

I am very lucky in that 8 out of 10 times we get 5 stars and I always follow up on areas we can improve if they are highlighted to us.  

it’s just a little frustrating if when they don’t match and of course our overall rating comes down! 

Would appreciate understanding.

Thank you 🙏 

5 Replies 5
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>Am I now right in thinking that the guest decides the overall rating?<<

Correcto. 

@Emma501, guests can wax lyrical about how great a listing is only to bomb it with a four-star 
review because of their 'we don't ever give five stars' mentality.  

Emma501
Level 2
Weymouth, United Kingdom

That sucks! 

At the start, I was really grateful to get our 5 stars but when you get them consistently you start wondering why people mark you down 🙂 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Emma501 @Gordon0 

The obnoxious nature of the review system has been discussed here at length many times and you might enjoy reading some of it if you have time to waste.

People have been complaining bitterly for years and nothing significant has been done so I guess we have to assume that someone at Airbnb likes it the way it is.

It’s confusing for guests and some think that it’s similar to the international hotel rating system.

To be a five-star hotel, they have to have a long list of things that none of us have.

General Facilities For 5 Star Hotel:

• Full-time operation 7 days a week in season.
  • Establishment to have all necessary trading licenses.
  • Establishment to have public liability insurance.
  • 24 hr. lifts for buildings higher than ground plus two floors.
  • Bedrooms, Bathroom, Public areas and kitchen fully serviced daily.
  • All floor surfaces clean and in good shape.
  • Floors can be of any surface or materials.
  • Power backup or Diesel Generator - DG sets.

The list goes on to include such things as a full-service 24/7 restaurant, coffee shop, swimming pool, etc etc.

So some guests think that a 5* Airbnb must also have these things and so they probably feel that 4* is generous.

Airbnb is not interested in doing anything to educate them.

Movie3
Level 1
Perai, Malaysia

I feel the same pain in my review ratings too. Everything 5* but overall is 4*, or they rated the Location as 4* even though they have roughly know where the listing is before they booked. 

Personally, I think review should be advised with examples, such as Location (Not compatible with the Map, Not as described in the bio etc). Otherwise, everything sounds vague and ambiguous, like merely based on feeling. If the guest comes to me and asks me for the advice before booking, I will always tell them honestly based on their purpose of visit. Hosts never want to upset the guests, same goes to guests shouldn't rate us for them not being able to achieve their purpose of visit.

I understand some guests left really good reviews in words but 4* rating. That's another mystery!

Emma501
Level 2
Weymouth, United Kingdom

Yes exactly, I have sometimes written to the guests afterwards to find out what could have made it a 5.  Some have said it was an error!    Most have not responded which is a shame.   Cos I would like guests to have the perfect stay! 

thank you both for responding.