Inquiries with phone conversation requests

Linda272
Level 2
Minnesota, United States

Inquiries with phone conversation requests

I took a month break due to family issues.  Since I have been back (2 weeks), I have received three inquiries with brief two sentence statements asking me to call them to answer questions.  I had never gotten these kinds of inquiries before.  Of course the phone number is not available to view - which is fine by me.  I also saw that they have not had to provide confirming information such as email, billing, etc. under their details page.  I understand not seeing pictures and don't care but is Airbnb not checking travelers before they can start inquiry processes too?

I have wasted time responding to these stating that we do not have access to talk via phone, contacted Airbnb CR for assistance for the guest and never gotten a reservation from any of these 3 inquiries.  I left VRBO because of this very issue - bogus guest emails and the time I wasted responding.  I appreciated Airbnb's due diligence prior to this as they seemed to be ensuring I was actually talking to a real potential guest.  These were clearly 'not' such people.  Despite my outreach via email and willingness to answer questions on line - all failed to reach out to ask their questions.

Example:  Never done this type of rental. Call me like to talk to you. Jerry (Phone number hidden by Airbnb), Profile shows only an email was entered.  Second: Having trouble with the airbnb app, uploading my id information, I have already put in my payment details, it is for Friday night, my name is Chris. Could you please call me and see if we are clear?

Thanks (Phone number hidden by Airbnb):  Profile shows only a phone number was entered.  Third:  Hi Linda, I love to discuss about this if you can rely back or give me a call at (Phone number hidden by Airbnb);;  this one is really interesting as his profile shows all of the items plus being a 'host'

What gives Airbnb?

3 Replies 3
Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

I have encountered the same problem in the last month with four requests to contact me directly by phone or email. It was such an annoyance I saved a message below to deal with it.

Saved Message

"Thanks for your booking inquiry, and I am happy to discuss your questions.

However, there is a communication policy for hosts and guests using the Airbnb platform. The agreement states that both parties will use the messaging service we are now on to communicate. The system protects hosts and guests in the negotiation and booking process against differences or misunderstandings. Airbnb also monitors all communications and blocks out telephone numbers or email addresses sent to a recipient. I, as host, have full authority to negotiate with potential guests on terms of stay. Let me know, through this platform, what questions you may have.

@Linda272  My experience is that the majority of Inquiries do not ultimately convert into bookings. Airbnb's requirement is only that you respond in some way to these (declining or pre-approving is not necessary). A line of boilerplate, or a simple "no thanks" is sufficient; no need to waste time on these.

I also think it would be nice if Airbnb raised the bar of entry for guests,to require a complete profile and verifications before contacting hosts. But it's not currently in their competitive interests to add more friction to the booking process, so it's on hosts to do their own screening with the restricted data that's provided to them.

Linda272
Level 2
Minnesota, United States

Looks like one of them became a 'real' reservation.  Disappointing that there isn't a better way to ensure  the ones who don't fill out their details, don't get to us to weed through.  Thanks everyone for your input.  I'm going to create a 'canned response' so I can quickly move past the - please call me - ones..  The real one was the only one with details - so clearly a system problem in their case.  So glad I didn't give up and report his inquiry or fail to respond fully.