Instant Book

Laura5176
Level 2
New York, United States

Instant Book

Hi,

I am new to this.  I have instant book on as an option.  I do get nervous when there is someone without a review history.  Can I turn these people down?  Can I turn down someone who is not of legal age and wants to book.  I am in NY.  

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura5176  I don't use IB myself, never have, never will, but you have requirement options available for IB. Previous recommendations (reviews) from other hosts, verified ID uploaded to Airbnb, and a profile photo. You should check all those. No, you can't use an age restriction to IB.

If you are using Instant Book, you don't have the option to "turn someone down". That's the whole point of IB, that guests can book without host approval. 

You do have 3 free cancellations a year with IB, but you don't want to use those up unless you really feel you need to.

If you want to be able to communicate with guests and read any reviews they might have before accepting a booking from them, you need to turn off IB so you just get Inquiries and Requests.

IB is not the best idea, IMO, for new hosts until you get the hang of how everything works. 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Laura5176 

I have used Instabook since we went live in 2020.  To date, only 3 of 56ish guests were below my standards.  But they were just strange.  No bad reviews or issues.

IMO, make sure that you have EVERY  requirement checked.  For example, verified id, host recommended, etc..

@M199  Regarding IB and getting bad guests, I think it depends a lot on your location and the nature of your listing. I've noticed that there seem to be certain areas and certain types of listings where hosts appear to complain about bad guests and partiers a lot. And other hosts, like me, who have never gotten bad guests. It doesn't mean that little issues don't come up, or that some guests don't seem a bit odd, but nothing like guests who trash places and really egregious behavior.

I've read a lot of posts from new hosts  who had IB on and got lots of bad guests, so turned it off, which is why I wouldn't recommend it to new hosts. And I would never use it myself as a home share host and I'm not even sure I would ever use it for an entire place. I like to hold the reins as far as vetting guests, not rely on a few requirements you can set to IB.

But that's just me, I know IB works fine for a lot of hosts.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Sarah977  You are absolutely correct.  No argument👍

But to add to the conversation, I think my comments are also valid as another point of view for new hosts to think about.

@M199  Oh, I think your comments were quite valid. IB worked fine for you as a new host- I meant that it may have been problem-free for you because your location and listing don't attract the bad guest types. 

If you want control, Turn Instant Book off.    I'm new & never will have it. I'm totally set up for dogs. BUT, I want to know more, as many people have out of control dogs.  Like someone wanted to bring 5 dogs!?,  added to my 3?  No, there is a limit. Then someone had 3 huskies, BUT, did NOT want to check in with me on having them loose(I have chickens too)!??? Sorry 3 huskies are very much a "pack" with one of the TOP prey breeds.