Instant Booking Bypass Host Requirements

Adilah0
Level 2
Maine, US

Instant Booking Bypass Host Requirements

For the past three months, Airbnb has allowed guests to instant book my properties without meeting my guest requirements. I have called and emailed extensively and no one can tell me why. I understand that Airbnb doesn’t necessarily look at every last ID. However, it’s helpful to have as much information about a guest as possible. I collect IDs for my condo because all guests must be registered through the association and the stays are a seven night minimum. However, with my other property with shorter minimum stays, that’s cumbersome. Requiring an ID on file is pretty low barrier, but Airbnb keeps bypassing my requirements.  Before, I would get a request to book and then send a saved step by step email on how to upload a verification. I don’t even get requests to book anymore. They accept every booking request. I have to call to cancel a reservation each time so that I don’t get penalized. 

I have a feeling no that they are trying to boost revenues under our noses. The more people hey can get through, he more money hey make. 

Is this happening to anyone else?  Only some profiles show up with “Government ID” provided. Others just have a phone or email provided as verification. This has happened at least 20 times now. 

8 Replies 8

I just got an instant booking  from a user who had not uploaded a government ID, even though I make government ID a requirement for instant booking. I called Airbnb help, and the phone rep said he has received several other issues like this today. 

Phone rep offered to cancel the reservation but I said this is AirBNB’s issue.  I shouldn't have to be the jerk; I said AirBNB should be the one to contact the guest and say she can upload an ID to keep the reservation.  He said he would do that, and get back to me.

Let’s see if they can follow through, and hopefully they get their system glitch fixed so the phone agents don’t have to deal with it . 

Warning to all hosts with instant book that think their requirements are being met: you’d better double check until they get this worked out. 

Adilah0
Level 2
Maine, US

I had this happen again last night. I have updated the message that I automatically send out for confirmed bookings to include “ The Airbnb system has an error that has allowed some guests to instant book without meeting host requirements. Please be sure that you have a government ID on file with Airbnb prior to your arrival so that you may avoid a last minute cancellation”.  

I have started to do this because I just don’t have the time everyday to pick up the phone and explain the situation to each new rep. I have to call every third day to do cancelations on reservations that are further away. It is truly a pain.

The little key icon with my step- by- step checkin instructions with photos also just disappeared. No one knows why this has happened either. 

I thought of taking off the instant book, but then my bookings will be lowered. 😕

Emily1124
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

This keeps happening to me as well.

When I send my first intro email to the guest- I tell them that 

I see in their profile they do not have a government i.d. in their profile

and we require this of all guests, and they need to upload their i.d.

so far it has not been an issue.

But, I don't understand why Airbnb is not following through on protecting hosts-

if we check this off as a requirement for us- how can they slip through?

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

That's easy to answer @Emily1124  - because the system is full of glitches that seem to take weeks adn weeks to fix.  this is just one of a multitude of glitches I have heard of.

Hosts have had their  payments frozen for weeks/months, bed sizes changed,  check in times changed, prices on their calendar changed, cleaning fees removed, amenities added or removed, blocked dates on the calendar opened up and made available and they're just the ones that spring immediately to mind without trying. A few months ago no one could log on to this forum - we where taken to teh "where would you like to go" page like we were travellers

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

I don't believe that this is an Airbnb system glitz. I have had Airbnb instant bookings where they do not even meet Airbnb requirements: having email and verified phone number. My host requirements are verified government ID, photo and recommendations and many instant bookings arrive without this information.

I called Airbnb and was advised some hosts are Ok with little guest information on instant bookings and a host can cancel.

I now have a saved message to send guests advising them that Airbnb booked in error and to avoid a cancellation they need to provide the specific information that is requested. To date, every guest has complied with the information that I asked for.

Airbnb is running a business and they want to maximize revenue and I have no problem with that. We are running a business and while profit is great we need to ensure that we verify guests' information, history and reason for the booking. If it's about personal safety or care and protection of your listing it is non-negotiable.

If the information is not provided or it is lacking or doesn't feel right listen to your gut feelings and cancel.No booking is worth the grief of shutting down an unauthorized party or repairing damages

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Given the recent publicity regarding security and safety  issues, and Airbnb's high profile response, it's shocking that these very basic tools we have to protect ourselves are bypassed.

"Given the recent publicity regarding security and safety  issues, and Airbnb's high profile response, it's shocking that these very basic tools we have to protect ourselves are bypassed'.

@Tony-And-Una0  That's because Airbnb's high profile response is simply a lot of empty grandstanding, engineered to make the platform look good, from the outside. On the inside, nothing is changed. 

Emily1124
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

The latest booking I received was not an instant book even though it met all my requirements?!