Is Airbnb remitting the Hotel Occupancy Tax for my Airbnb?

Denise253
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Is Airbnb remitting the Hotel Occupancy Tax for my Airbnb?

I'm a Superhost in Dallas and have assumed that Airbnb is collecting and remitting the HOT on my cottage. We have recently received notification from the city that all STR hosts will have to report their monthly earnings and pay a HOT directly to the city. This is redundant, and I don't know how to confirm that Airbnb is actually providing the tax service that they tell us they are handling. Any thoughts or help from any other Dallas, TX hosts?????

40 Replies 40

@Kathy842 

Hotel Occupancy Tax (7%

HOT Penalty (15% x Line 6) If paid on or after the 26th

HOT Interest (10% annual simple interest x Line 6) If paid 30 or more days late

It adds up to ALOT!! I am still trying to pay mine down.. It is so expensive

Teresa656
Level 2
Dallas, TX

@Denise253 

@Tj72 

@Brian151 

@Kathy842

@Rodderick0 

I have responded to this 3 times and each time my text disappears!! I have gone into detail each time and again the text does not show when I post it and Im tired of retyping it!!   I am wondering where everyone is with the City tax situation. I have spoken a number of times to them and It is VERY EXPENSIVE with fees, fines and the taxes themselves.. Seems there is no forgiveness for the fees and fines. Has anyone figured out HOW to collect the taxes? Airbnb told me I needed to do it AFTER the guest booked through the resolution center. I have not had much luck with that as most of the guests did not respond.. I am wondering how to do this?? Anyone got any success stories? thanks

Hi Theresa, thank you for responding.

I had done October 2019 to Feb 2020 Muni and paid Dallas every darn dime and past due and penalty.

I tried to close my account in Feb, and that is when I couldn't close due to additional data needed going back to AirBnB 2016 per city  The city is someone you don't want to mess with, as they do liens and take your property, and as you have seen, they show no mercy.

So, I am in process of doing monthly data to them on Muni for 3 years.   I am just going to pay them now, as the 10% int rate rate on the money outstanding is expensive. 

I guess the city needs their money anyway now. It is indeed going to be expensive.  I feel shorted because I thought Airbnb was collecting, feel that they have a responsibly for informing us.  Most big cities probably have a short term hotel tax.  I just didn't know

As far as the additional tax, if you just charge 10% more per day, that should keep you from being out of pocket the 7%, even with the tax on top of your tax.  

I am no longer going to Airbnb host and wouldnt recommend anyone do it because you don't know what you don't know.   The ironic thing is I followed VisitDallas and really thought I was helping Dallas with Tourism by providing a cool place when I had it available to rent

@Teresa656   above post, so you can get message 

@Brian151 

thanks for this idea of the 10% extra.. make it seem easier. Yes, the City does not mess around !! Seems they would have been a bit more efficient on making sure we hosts knew the requirements instead of going years and the fees and fines building up and then all of a sudden" Oh..Madam.. you owe us LOTS of back pay!!""  Grrrrrr..

Hello @Teresa656  When Air BNB started collecting city occupancy tax I thought it was a great idea.  Turns out to be a nightmare for many hosts.  My city briefly contracted with Air BNB to collect and remit occupancy tax but later cancelled the contract with individual host information was not provided and the tax was given in a lump sum.  Definitely an auditing nightmare.

My solution was to increase my rate by 10% rather than a separate collection process and then pay it myself.  I provide that information in my listing description so the guest knows that like a hotel, occupancy tax is required.  

@Linda108 

Thanks for thee 10% input.. I believe that's what I am going to do.. as well as pay all the expensive backpay!!  DO you mind sharing with me how you language the extra 10%.. " I provide that information in my listing description so the guest knows that like a hotel, occupancy tax is required.  "  I appreciate you

I am new and my condo is in Sonora, Mexico.  I want to add a resort tax and I cannot find where to do that.  I added a cleaning fee and extra for additional guests, but cannot find a place to add the resort fee my resort charges.  Does anyone know that?

@Catherine2412   Look at Listing, Pricing, standard fees and prices, other standard fees.  There is a dropdown for resort fee.

Mine is showing different options under Listing, Pricing - it then goes Nightly Price, Length of Stay, Extra Charges (but hotel/resort fee is not one of them), then Sharing, Currency, etc.  ??

Yes my text keeps disappearing when I hit REPLY and I have retyped this 3 times too.  Need to copy it first....

@Catherine2412   Have you read the article in the Help Center about collecting occupancy taxes?  If not, it might be helpful as there is no specific line item for charging taxes.  Go to Help and enter occupancy taxes in the search.  You will find the description of the process.  Good luck!