Is Brian secretly starting a competing website?

William-And-Laura0
Level 2
London, Canada

Is Brian secretly starting a competing website?

I ask because the lack of support for hosts here has gotten so bad that tens of thousands are leaving and looking for other optioins. 

What do you all think? Is he maybe setting up aseries of shell companies to get around any non-competition agreements and getting ready to set up a company which is supposedly competing with the one that he's already got, one that will attract all of the disgruntled hosts fleeing the AirBnB platform?

What other explanations are there for how bad Host Support has gotten over the last few years here? Lets hear your thoughts, everyone!

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@William-And-Laura0 

I think Host support started going downhill when 25% of the employees were fired due to Corona pandemic. Then Airbnb CS was outsourced, resulting in a communication disaster. I still believe it will change this year, so for now i am not "fleeing the platform".

IMHO hosts who need frequently to contact Airbnb CS are not the best Hosts. And I think Brian is happy they choose to leave the platform, although i am not aware the figures you mention ("tens of thousand")  are correct.

Airbnb aquired some other companies in the past, maybe it is more likely they will continue this strategy.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Tonight:

1) Guest IB-ed  at 22.15, 3 nights starting tomorrow. Followed by my quick interrogation to establish that being out & about doing some filming was not essential permitted work! 

- Guest tries to cancel, discovers she'll only get a pittance back on moderate policy at 24hrs notice, asks me to cancel. I explain why I can't.

2) I contact CS by messaging at 22.57

3) "Support Ambassador" messages me at 23.08. Cancels reservation penalty free to both of us at 23.25 (after I faffed about switching off IB so no naughty NON doctor, nurse or other essential worker, on a jolly filming spree books again!)

- GOOD RESULT FROM CS!  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen350 

Helen I love almost all of them, my run with good guests is way better than I expected it would be when I started hosting. I would only get 1 less than great guest in every 50 stays so I really have very little to grizzle about. 

Most of them do tax you in some way or other though.

My current guest booked about 3 weeks ago and said she was coming for a wedding in the area.....she and partner were part of the bridal group. She volunteered on her booking message that they would check-in around 6.00pm this evening between the wedding and the reception.

Great, I figure I have a nice leisurely day with no time constraints, so, 1.00 pm finds me in the supermarket getting my restock items and my phone rings. It's the guest' s partner, he and another groomsman are sitting  out the front of my property wanting to know how soon they can check-in.

Apparently where they were going to change for the afternoon wedding had become unavailable so there was a change of plans and they needed my place early. That was fine but in the panic they did not think to let me know, just assumed as they had booked the place it was available........a quick plan B as it were!

They are really nice people, very apologetic so there is no way I will give them any critical comments. but Helen, as nice as they can be, you never know what to expect!

Cheers........Rob