Is It , Air bed AND BREAKFAST ?

Robert6289
Level 1
Tauranga, New Zealand

Is It , Air bed AND BREAKFAST ?

It seems that TOO MANY hosts are not supplying ANY breakfast . Minimum should be bread( for toast) butter and a preserve ( Jam or marmalade )  , or some cornflakes. I have recently been to 2 airbnbs and none were supplied, only tea /coffee.  Please can airbnb tell all hosts .

17 Replies 17
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robert6289 Strangely we find our guests prefer a King size bed with proper sprung mattress rather than an Air bed. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

We always provide a decent set of breakfast, drinks and snacks for all guests. 

One could argue that it's shameful not to, but in a different view, it does lend a comparative plus to the way guests perceive the hospitality received at our listing. They often get much less or nothing from other Airbnb hosts. If nothing else, it makes us look better.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Helen744 in Australia we do not provide breakfast except for tea coffeeand drinks maybe packaged snacks because we are not liscensed to sell food or provide breakfast ,. h airbnb is just a name , we are not bed and breakfasts unless you self cater in the kitchen and provide your own food and cook it yourself . So we are slightly different . H

Also bed and breakfasts traditionally have on site hosts . H

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you're confusing the airbnb concept with a traditional bed and breakfast .

airbnb is a self catering model. Some but certainly not the vast majority offer breakfast.

if that's a key criteria for your stay look for a traditional bed and breakfast or search for hosts that offer breakfast @Robert6289 

Its in the title ( BNB)

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robert6289 

As others have explained, the title Airbnb comes from the original concept that you could rent out an airbed on the floor of your living room. It's rather silly to take it so literally. Airbnb has evolved quite a bit since then and now you can book anything from a teepee to a castle. Every listing is different and therefore the amenities are different. Every location is different (here in London it is very rare for a host to offer breakfast and like many places, you need a food license, inspections etc. to offer catering to customers).

It is the guest's responsibility to read the listing and select the one that suits their needs. Guests who then complain about amenities that were never offered are amongst the most annoying.

I can see from the response your last host to your review of her that you complained to her about a lack of breakfast. I really hope you did not rate her down for this because I couldn't see breakfast mentioned anywhere on her listing, just essentials, i.e. oil, salt, pepper. So, why is she having to apologise to you for not supplying fruit and cereal?

Do you think that if the majority of guests expected/demanded bread, butter, preserves cornflakes that these would not be standard at most airbnbs? The fact is that people have different preferences for breakfast, some would rather eat out and others don't eat breakfast at all. It totally depends on your market. I do not advertise breakfast, just tea, coffee, sugar etc. but I do in reality supply more, including breakfast cereals. Perhaps one in a hundred guests eat some of the cereal. I stopped providing fruit because most of it ended up in the bin. I'm really not a fan of food waste and will do what I can to prevent it. That's a moral choice.

Saying that Airbnb should tell all hosts to provide breakfast is nonsensical. You are assuming what you want is what everyone else wants, but that is simply not the case. You have the right to choose a listing that suits you. You do not have the right to take away others' right to choose for themselves.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Robert6289 Really! You actually want airbnb to require hosts to provide some type of breakfast food. Even when I go to an upscale hotel, I don’t expect this—maybe, some coffee. Yep, if this is what you want, I recommend either bringing your own or looking for accommodations that provide it. 

Now, I do offer wrapped breakfast bars along with coffee and tea, but that’s a nicety on my part, not a requirement. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

To answer your question, 'Is It , Air bed AND BREAKFAST ?', @Robert6289, the answer would be a big fat no.

It's a brand name, not a promise of a B&B/boarding house (probably outdated) experience.  

So does air bnb mean air b but no B ?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Robert6289,

Airbnb is merely the name of a business.  You seem to be willing to accept that the first part of the name is just branding, because your complaint didn't mention anything about the hosts not providing some type of treated air.  Many business names are not reflective of the items it sells.  I doubt that anyone who shops online thinks that Amazon sells rivers in South America.  Regardless of the business name, you should always read the listing details to insure that it will provide the amenities and services that you desire.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Robert6289  You have just presented what your personal view of what breakfast "should be" based on the country you come from, and what is familiar to you to consume. 

Airbnb hosts have folks from almost every country stay with them. 

Is one supposed to have on hand what breakfast "should be" in China, India, North Africa, South America, and even European countries which are not basically British ?         That's before one even gets into peoples' other dietary preferences such as "gluten free". 

I believe that would be called a full-service international restaurant with all dietary options included.  

My city requires a special food handling certificate with licensing and inspection of the premises. I am not allowed to serve food to guests.   

My own food preference is no animal products of any kind.    I do not expect that to be provided to me if I stay in an Airbnb, and I also prefer not to pay any built-in surcharges for "breakfast included" when it's unlikely I'd be able to eat the breakfast. 

Anyone expecting to be provided with their personal food preference should look for an alternative accommodation or bring their own. 

Staying on my soapbox for two more minutes : how much more food waste would be generated buying boxes of cornflakes or loaves of bread for people staying 2 nights?     My city registration requires I dispose of ALL food items that may have been left/used by prior guests. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Robert6289 Did you sleep on an Air mattress during your 2 stays? Because that's where the AIR comes from in the original concept. Airbnb should also tell hosts that guests shouldn't be sleeping on real beds . . . 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Robert6289,

You would have a legitimate stance if the listing stated that breakfast was included, but didn't offer it during your stay.  If you want break be sure to read the Amenities/Service section in the listing details.

Debra300_0-1661788639113.png