Is a week enough?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Is a week enough?

Why is it somehow every decision Airbnb makes, even a good one has to have a caveat? They are now allowing to cancel the remainder of reservations penalty free to convert to long term but giving us a week to do that. That means in a week I need to make a decision if I am converting and when. This is not enough to secure a tenant for May 1 and most likely even June 1. In Illinois you cannot even show properties right now. Yet, I need to decide right now. For those of you about to say that I should not be hosting anyway and who will even be coming, I do have 10-14 day construction crew and first responder reservations that at least pay my internet bill. I also have plenty of summer reservations so I do not want to make this decision lightly.

18 Replies 18
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

I am interested to know what 'unable to travel means'. We have reservations from people in the UK who can't travel today but I am sure Boris will allow them to by June.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Mike-And-Jane0 it would have been clear if they were not changing it every five minutes. I just saw the same pop up @Susan17 just posted.

@Huma0 it is now till mid May. Which means I am doing nothing as it will extend or change again. We are sitting and waiting to see who will cancel first- guests and hosts. All because airbnb can not issue a guideline. They can just say- EC applies forever, as long as you can proof you can not travel, same applies to hosts. Done. I wont like it but at least I will know what to expect

Cancel charge-free by May 15
Whether you’re unable to host or want to open your calendar for longer stays, you can cancel 2020 reservations booked before March 15 without charges or impact to your Superhost status. Just be sure to cancel by May 15.

@Inna22

Also note, the new extended invitation, permitting hosts to cancel up to May 15, now says "You can cancel charge-free", as opposed to "You can cancel penalty-free" , as it always has done previously.

It's not clear why that change has occurred, but we all know now from recent experiences, that when Airbnb quietly changes anything, there's usually a trick, a trap or a pitfall involved somewhere. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susan17 

That's interesting. That would imply that you won't face cancellation charges but could face the other penalties, like losing Superhost status for a year, having the cancellations plastered on your review page etc.

Yet another point that requires further clarification...

So far, I have not made any cancellations myself. My next guest (due end of May) has decided to reschedule for September and the following guest is UK based and not due to mid-July. So, I don't have any June check ins to worry about, but I would like these points clarified for the sake of hosts who are impacted by the changes. Seems like 90% of the posts on the CC these days are from hosts desperately asking for clarification on one point or another related to the constant changes to COVID-19 policies and their sometimes cryptic wording.