Is the short term rental market decimated.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

Is the short term rental market decimated.

Here in Australia we are seeing an immediate effect to the direction Airbnb have taken in dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic.

The rental price of long term rentals is plummeting as masses of STR properties are coming onto the LTR rental market. 

I don't know if overseas searches can open this link but, it gives an indication of what is happening here in Oz.

https://www.domain.com.au/news/australias-rising-rental-market-short-lived-as-coronavirus-affects-pr...

Domain specifically mentions, the collapse of the Airbnb market is driving properties into the LTR  rental market leading to a significant fall in rental asking rates.

Airbnb are on a particularly slippery slope here! Their attitude to short term gain is going to lead them to long term pain as masses of their hosts desert them for a more stable source of income.

I would hope it is not too late for Airbnb, but I fear it is, you can only bite the hand that feeds you for so long.

Cheers......Rob   

32 Replies 32
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen427 

Helen, this is inspirational!

I didn't vote for this guy but the reason we are where we are with COVID-19 is because of him.

This is a long address but it is worth the time, particularly the way he treats the journalists question. 

I look at this, and then look at the way the US President handles his briefings and the thing that immediately grabs you, Morrison speaks for the team, Trump speaks for himself. 

If you can be bothered wading through this briefing Helen, it will reward you. There is no doubt about it, what with Jacinta and Sco-Mo we are really privileged in this part of the world.

https://youtu.be/c-zOmSrJtUg?t=38

Hey I am back into hosting again Helen, a nice young couple from a small country town on the SA VIC border who are also on Airbnb, are here for a couple of nights! They are setting up 'glamping tents' on their farming property. We sat out in the yard tonight......socially distanced of course, darkness came and it all flooded back to what I have missed over this past 6 weeks......

IMG20200505192210 c.jpg 

I love hosting and I can't wait for things to get back to normal 

Cheers......Rob

Frederic54
Level 2
Cupertino, CA

I have been a superhosts for many years with properties in the US and Mexico, I think the trends is moving toward FREE services with the entire removal of fees associated with bookings and payment processing.

So in that regard,  I would say that Airbnb, VRBO etc are going to see their influence dramatically weaken!

I am looking at alternatives. www.gigoyu.com looks promising as an App, but am sure there are other options including creating your own web site.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Robin, our president is 99.9% id, so don't expect him to think in terms of others, let alone have the ability to work as a member of a team. If the ship were sinking he'd not even wait for his own grand kids, Ivanka maybe, if she'd promise him a lap dance. This was once the season of University of California graduations, concerts & weddings but as we haven't yet flattened the curve we are still playing it safe & distant. I loved, loved ,loved hosting and nearly all of our guests were fabulous but with unemployment figures worse than the great depression and rising, I don't think most folks will be traveling so much even when things ease (and I have a sinking feeling about what's down the road this fall) I'm studying Canadian history and getting ready to leave my beloved, beautiful bay area when Trump cheats his way to a 2nd term.I wish we had a leader as smart & kind as ms. Adern but I'll settle for a Trudeau, Sally