Is this a scam?

Fredrik50
Level 2
Gothenburg, Sweden

Is this a scam?

Hi

I got a booking request for my apartment for 3 months. The user "Barney" from Malaysia need answer right now since he is booking his flight tickets for tomorrow for the whole family. The will fly in tomorrow and then stay for 3 months. He really needs a very quick answer but have agreed to pay the price etc. I would normally excpect people to book a 3 month vacation more than 1 day ahead so this whole thing make me felle uneasy. My questions is; Is this a know scam? How is the setup then? He registered in may 2022 and are not verified as far as i can see.

Brgds

Fredrik

13 Replies 13
Cherie54
Level 3
Indianapolis, IN

If he is not verified,  tell him he must complete his full identification process, including providing his passport to airbnb.  If he cannot do this, don't accept his request.  Ask him for the names and ages of the others who will be staying.  Let him know only registered guests can stay.  (This is a loophole Airbnb needs to tighten up - get proof of identity of all guests staying.  It puts us in very precarious situations.)

Cherie54
Level 3
Indianapolis, IN

Also, the likelihood he can get international flights for a whole family the same day?  Really?  Keep asking him questions like why is he coming, what are they doing while they are here.  He is unlikely to pass the litmus. 

Fredrik50
Level 2
Gothenburg, Sweden

Thanks for the replies. He seems to be verified by email and phone but not passport. It's certainly to good to be true and with a very tight deadline...

@Fredrik50 I always go by "IF it seems to good to be true.....good chances are, it is just that". don't get caught up in the $$..... I'd pass on this - too quick, ??? very sketchy last minute trip....3 months??? Who takes off 1 day after tickets and booking for 3 months with family. Just imagine so many things could be wrong on this one. Good luck. Keep us posted what you decide to do.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps his name 'Barney' is your first clue; doesn't it mean crazy, insane, loony in the English language.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Fred13 

Lol, no. You are thinking of 'barmy' as in 'barmy army'. 

However, the Brits do say 'to have a barney', which means to have a heated argument, altercation etc.

E.g. "Let's drop this topic before we have a barney."

I knew I have heard it before in England, but in what context it escaped me. 🙂

Fredrik50
Level 2
Gothenburg, Sweden

I just don't understand how the setup of the scam should be. He pays me, He stays in the house. How is he going to get money from me? I told him that I just couldn't give answer with this short notice and we agreed on further discussion tomorrow. I'll keep you posted

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

He books. There is a problem with his payment and you don't find out for a few days meaning the guest gets to stay for free is one possible answer.

ask for photo ID to be uploaded

ask why he's making a last minute booking for international travel with his family for three months 

then you can make a decision but it doesn't feel quite right 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Fredrik50 Asking questions is always a good plan. Just make sure any booking is through Airbnb and also that you make sure the second month is paid before the end of the 1st month.

Fredrik50
Level 2
Gothenburg, Sweden

Thanks guys, just to let you know I turned him down. He has been messaging tonight several times and among other things wrote about an old tree and gardeners. This is totally out of context and has made me even more suspicious. 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

he's not making int'l travel plans in 24 hours. don't people need visas at the very least? 
edit: scratch that, looked it up. they don't, not for a short stay. 

Yes there are a lots of countries not required to have visas into the EU for a 3 month period.