@ Jenny Help/advise please

Deirdre144
Level 1
Hungerford, United Kingdom

@ Jenny Help/advise please

Hi, I am a host and have had several guests stay and have had lovely reviews. I recently had to cancel a guest as the toilet started to leak from the cistern but it meant that I had to lift the floor and sort out the bathroom. Now, 2 months on there has been a disasterous leak from the flat above which has caused my ceiling to fall in. I am due to host 2 separate bookings in 2 weeks and need to cancel their visits but wonder if this counts as out of my control so that I am not penalised. 
I am so devastated by the damage in my flat which has only just happened this morning. 

9 Replies 9
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Deirdre144   That is terrible!  I really feel for you.  In the first instance take photographs, ring CS and send them the photographs.   This really is out of your control and it should be a penalty free cancellation.  However, we had a similar issue here in our own home when a ceiling fell in and managed to get it fixed remarkably quickly.  It might be worth making a few calls to your insurance company and some builders first, get three estimates and likely time scales if you can (for your insurance company) and just get the work done as fast as you can.  You might be pleasantly surprised.

Deirdre144
Level 1
Hungerford, United Kingdom

Thank you, I have been onto the insurance company and have some builders coming to look, I just don’t think it will be fixed before my next guest is due and I need to give them the heads up as they’re coming from abroad. I’m so upset and feel awful inconveniencing guests. The insurance company seem to think it will be months before sorted. 
Excuse my ignorance but what is CS? I have spoken to an ambassador who has suggested I reach out to my guests and see that they are happy to cancel and then Airbnb do that for me. I just need to know I’m doing the right thing! 

Kate867
Level 10

@Deirdre144  CS.  Customer support, customer services.. Ambassador… .. If the hold up is awaiting authorisation or payment first from the insurance company, I would perhaps just get the work done and pay myself, keep all the receipts etc and submit for payment once done.. just to get it done quicker.  Agree with @Mike-And-Jane0  that you may be able to claim against the flat above

@Kate867 often policies will void if you get the work done before the assessor has agreed to cover it.It is important to obtain quotes as quickly as you can nevertheless. H

Kate867
Level 10

@Helen744  Agreed that this sometimes can be the case, but some companies will authorise work based on three estimates as long as proper documentation is submitted.  Also, the loss of several months income from cancelled /non existent bookings can be more costly than the repairs themself 

@Kate 867 this of course would be dependant on the tradesmen doing the work and their time frame . My only point is to not simply go ahead and authorize work without the assessors go ahead because then you risk not being insured and the bills not being paid at all. Flooding in Australia covers various categories and is often not paid at all .Which would leave her both out of pocket for repairs and customers . H

Often you will have to pay for the work yourself anyway and receive compensation after the works done ,but not without the assessors go ahead in these types of cases. insurers are getting stricter.H

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Deirdre144 I think Flood is covered so you should be OK although the new policy hasn't kicked in yet. Assuming you don't own the flat upstairs I suspect they could be liable for your lost bookings and the damage to your flat.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Deirdre144, I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to your home. CS = Customer service/support. As Kate mentioned, I would recommend that you contact them as well using this link https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact-us.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen