Long term hosting

Answered!
Jenny1542
Level 1
Melrose, FL

Long term hosting

Does anyone who hosts have any advice about long term rentals? We have people asking for one, two months. Wouldn’t that open us up to people staying longer than agreed upon and having to go through the eviction process? Anyone have any experience with this? We’re in Florida. Thanks in advance! 

Top Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jenny1542 You need to check State Law but if it generates an automatic tenancy after 30 days (as many do) then yes you could end up in a difficult position made even more difficult by the lack of a deposit and a tenancy agreement. You could specify in your listing that guests will need to sign a tenancy agreement if they book long term but it is not clear to me how the mechanics of getting this to them would work. 

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jenny1542 You need to check State Law but if it generates an automatic tenancy after 30 days (as many do) then yes you could end up in a difficult position made even more difficult by the lack of a deposit and a tenancy agreement. You could specify in your listing that guests will need to sign a tenancy agreement if they book long term but it is not clear to me how the mechanics of getting this to them would work. 

Vielka4
Level 1
Raleigh, NC

I am looking to move to long term hosting. Is it hard to find guest? How much of a discount do you offer? 

Mamode0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Had a few inquiries asking for 1-3 months stay. All from new accounts with no feedback and all I rejected. The money looks tempting but it’s not worth it for might go wrong, most obvious they don’t pay after the first month. If Airbnb took the entire money in advance and held 2nd and beyonds month plus a deposit and released it each month that might be better. 

Also I’d be open to renting to students and people coming to work from overseas on short term contracts, I’d even discount it heavily if I knew the people were legit and had a way of verifying what they said. Eg proof of funds, proof of return flights, job/education offer and acceptance etc 

Same! No profile picture and no reviews. Is it a scam? Your response makes me feel better about declining these requests as you’re right, the money is quite tempting! 

Susan4640
Level 2
Groton, MA

I currently have a 2 week maximum stay and aim to keep it that way.  I have already turned one person down for a longer inquiry (had no reviews) but am highly considering a recent request for at least 3 months from someone who has a lot of absolutely fabulous 5-star reviews from hosts.  He's taking on a new job nearby.  I'm thinking of having him book 28 days, blocking off 2 or 3 days in between, have him book another 28 days, block few off, book another 28 days - mainly to avoid the "tenant" status.  Hopefully I'm understanding this correctly: If he books 28 days x 3, at the same time - he'd have to pay Airbnb at the time of booking up-front just like any booking to reserve his three 28 day stays.  I'd then get paid at the beginning of each 28-day stay.  Otherwise - I'm not sure how it works with Airbnb for 30+ day stays (can't seem to find any information on it).  The 28 day at a time seems the safest route.  If it weren't for his reviews, details of his inquiry - I wouldn't even consider this.   

Susan,

I am wondering if you found out anymore info on this idea for avoiding tenant status.