May Day, May Day...

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

May Day, May Day...

Not quite an International distress call yet, (although?), but yesterday the ability for hosts to cancel without penalty ended. This, then was supposed to herald the announcement or update of the guest centric cancellation policy going forward.

Does anybody know any details?

23 Replies 23
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Jerry250 Interesting... The UK Competition & Markets Authority/ UK law... Thanks for posting.

Jerry250
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

@Helen350 Here's the link to what the UK Competition and Markets authority say about refusal to refund and the issuing of vouchers: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-cma-to-investigate-cancellation-policy-concerns

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Jerry250 @Helen350 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Gordon0 et al,

I have some information on the updates to the Extenuating Circumstances policy in regards to the Coronavirus. 

What is happening for June reservations?

As borders continue to be closed and billions are sheltering in place, some people will be unable to travel and we need to allow them to cancel. Eligible reservations with a check-in between June 1 and June 15, that were booked before March 15, can be cancelled under our extenuating circumstances policy—but guests will need to substantiate that they’re sick or unable to travel. Our most recent host update explains the policy and how we’ll apply it moving forward.

The update EC page is here, last updated on May 1 : Extenuating circumstances policy and the coronavirus (COVID-19)

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie 

but guests will need to substantiate that they’re sick or unable to travel.

How will guests know that until when the travel time arrives? Until the check-in date arrives no possible cancellation can be considered since maybe no travel ban would be in place. Trying to prove EC when travel is or isn’t possible would be totally futile. Any cancellations under this kind of arrangement should provide a host with 100% cancellation payment. This time, and any other time where travel is possible.

@Jerry250 @Helen350 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Gordon0 et al,

Spot on, @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0. The UK Gov currently prohibits all but essential international travel, so assuming a booking is due to check in on June 15, they'll qualify for a refund today, despite the advice may change tomorrow.

Very messy and poorly thought through. 

@Gordon0 

Not only that.

I can, right now generate a Covid19 isolation certificate despite being fully healthy.

It would be negligent of AirBnb to accept these without some ‘Official’ (not ‘home test’) positive Covid-19 test indicating a positive result.

This, ONLY applicable to guests registered on the travel itinerary of the booking.

Getting a bit sick of the abuse and manipulation now.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks, @Stephanie.

As a reminder, Brian said on his latest video update: "On May 1 we’re going to provide an update on June check ins. On June 1 we’re going to provide an update on July check ins". 

The reality is somewhat different as the policy has been extended for >June 15 bookings only.

quickly-broken promise it seems.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Stephanie 

Customer Services seem to be interpreting this as if a lockdown exists today it will exist on June 15 and hence people can cancel.

I say 'seem to be' as I am still awaiting their response to my question as to why they have allowed cancellations from UK travellers not checking in until June 12th. It might of course, just been a mistake.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Stephanie 

Luckily I can cope financially with the cancellations. I struggle more with Customer Services who are not applying the polices correctly (June is now lumped in with March-May cancellations) and who state that Arbitration is not available because they are right!

Gotta love this concept.

I guess our next two rentals are going on other platforms. Shame really as I have worked out how to use Airbnb.