Monthly stays

Jaylin7
Level 1
Roanoke, VA

Monthly stays

Good evening/morning folks.  I've got a question for you all.   I wanted to know how the booking thing works.  See, I'm planning on going back to Texas in 3 months, so I don't want to sign a 12-month lease on an apartment, so I figured I'd use an Airbnb. Thing is, im apprehensive because I don't want to go get ready to pay for another month only to be denied because the listing im in has been booked.  I can't afford to pay 3 months up front, so I was looking to pay monthly.  Any help would be appreciated. 👍👌

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jaylin7  You can't afford to pay 3 months up front with all that money taped up everywhere in your profile photo? 🙂

While long term bookings are promoted to guests on Airbnb, a lot of hosts won't accept them for a number of good reasons. But there are some who do. 

Long term bookings are all under the long term cancellation policy, though, so you should read up about that policy. If you decide to leave earlier than the amount of time you have booked for, or change your mind after you have booked, you will still have to pay for that entire month- you have to give 30 days notice. And if you try to get refunded anyway, or can't come up with the next month's rent, that will really anger the host and earn you a very bad review. But you don't have to pay all 3 months at once- you will be charged by Airbnb monthly.

There are some other platforms that cater especially to longer term bookings, but not year-long leases, like Furnished Finder, which travel nurses sometimes book through, so you could research some of those as well.

It's good that you have filled out your profile info. (You might add a bit more to it, like what sort of work or studies you do and what your interests are, other than earning lots of money now so you can retire young)  That's important for a new guest with no reviews and something a lot of new guests neglect to do. 

A nice, informative intro message when you are requesting a booking can set a host's mind at ease. Let them know why you want to book for 3 months, why their place attracted you, what your daily schedule would consist of- are you going to be working online from home, attending school or courses, etc. 

Also you should be aware that living at an Airbnb for 3 months isn't like renting an apartment on a lease. For instance, you aren't free to have visitors over- friends, family members, someone you are romantically involved with. Those are things you would have to get straight with the host- what their rules and expectations are. The host may be used to short term rentals, where guests are out and about most of the day. If you are working from home and there all day, the host might find that you are burning through utilities and running up a electricity bill they didn't anticipate, and then want to charge you more,  so those things should be hashed out beforehand. 

And also be aware that while a host may advertise that they provide all sorts of things, like toilet paper, soap, shampoo, coffee, and so on, they may not do that with long term bookings- they may just provide enough for the first few days until you can go shopping, and expect long term guests to buy those things for themselves.

@Sarah977 “You can't afford to pay 3 months up front with all that money taped up everywhere in your profile photo?”

Its blowing around. Must have flown out the window 😩

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada