More people arrive then on the booking, not they won't pay

Jeremy380
Level 2
Oxford, GB

More people arrive then on the booking, not they won't pay

Hi everyone, 
I'm having issues with a reservation of 2 people. they arrived with 5 and in my settings I have added that any additional people over 2 will pay 45$ per person, per night on top.
Furthermore, in my house rules it states that no additional people on the property other than the ones on the reservation.

I kindly asked them to make the changes on airbnb while they arrived, and they said they will do it in the evening. OK for me.

But after a day i didn't hear back, sent them another message and still no reply.

I then sent them a request to pay with the amount they owe. I also called airbnb who told me they will get in touch with the guest.

A day later I called airbnb as I didn't get any update, just to be told that the case manager will call me back later, who didn't call me back. the guest checked out and now Airbnb tells me that they can't force the guest to pay as I didn't add it to my listing's description

The guest have broken my house rules and essentially committed theft as I now have to cover the additional cost they created. (We offer a maid 5 days a week, daily cleaning, towels, and even cooking).

As a super host and renting with airbnb for many years, I am very disappointed in the service I get back from them. I am still discussing this matter with airbnb

Am I in the wrong here, and how should I proceed?

Thanks for your help

9 Replies 9
Christopher2
Level 3
Cumnor, United Kingdom

Hi Jeremy, was it already in your additional costs when the guest made the reservation? 

Hi, yes I had made the changes for additional charges long before the guest reserved

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

When did you became aware? It seems you found out when they arrived, why did you let them in? I would have made the change on the app the minute they arrived and would not have given the keys until they accepted.

Hi,

I was not on site. I am away and got informed by someone who comes regularly for maintenance . Therefore I had no control over it when they arrived

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Jeremy380  if you are hosting remotely you really need to have CCTV or similar to monitor who is using your place. These would give you control over checking how many guests are using your space.

In this situation, you should have contacted Airbnb as soon as you were aware of the extra guests and ask them to add the additional guests to the booking and told the guests that if they did not accept the request for the extra guests to be added to the booking that day,  the extra guests would need to leave.

Guests cannot add extra guests to a booking once the booking has started themselves.

By allowing these guests to stay for the duration without collecting payment, you have now made it more difficult for yourself to collect the outstanding money.

I do have cctv, but with 8 hours time difference it is in the middle of the night. I have contacted them the very next day. A day later again.

I have been hosting for years and guest have never caused trouble over it till now.
I also have footage to prove to airbnb the number of guests, but from my understanding the guest already admitted to airbnb they were more people but don't agree to pay

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you are hosting in a different time zone you really need a local co-host who can go to the property in the event of problem guests or problems at the property. @Jeremy380 

I am glad you haven't had previous issues with problem guests or additional guest staying who haven't booked. But much better to plan for the worst case scenario and have systems in place to manage them.

All you can do is pursue your claim via Airbnb's Resolution Centre and be more vigilant in giving the guest a deadline by which to pay or have additional guests leave. If you had a local co-host you could have them had them go around to ensure the extra guests left if they didn't pay/get added to the booking.

Obviously leave an honest review.

Escalate the matter to trust and safety if you have all ready sent a request to pay I've had a similar  problem hope you get it sorted

Question(s)

1. Did your Guest(s) initially agree to upgrade payment amt. - after you contacted them on arrival(?)
  2.  Was this on AIRBNB Msg platform(?) - hopefully yes
  3.  If yes, have you referred the AirBnB Support Team to those msgs(?)
  4. Did you have this Guest quota info. in your Listing description(?)
  5. Lately, since the guest - from onset - were breaking your house rules and essentially committed theft....couldn't you have either cancelled the stay - and/or NOT cover the additional cost they created.(?) i.e.  maid 5 days a week, daily cleaning, towels, and cooking(?)

I so regret this happened to you and expect that it can possibly happen again - so consider your strategies now...like someone already recommended - Local Co-host....maybe your Cleaning service can be your informants at least, as to #of guest