My host has requested all guests' passport numbers

Cindy850
Level 1
Victoria, CA

My host has requested all guests' passport numbers

Is it normal and safe to provide all my families' passport numbers?

The host has also mentioned there will be financial penalty if I don't provide the passport information.

This is the first time I received such request from the host. I would appreciate some advice.

Thank you

3 Replies 3
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Cindy850 

In some countries all airbnb accomodation needs to be registered and ID for all guests need to collected and communicated to the tourist authorities, just like in a hotel.   If you are travelling to such country there is no way around the issue.  

Some hosts outside such countries might also ask to show ID to make sure you match the booking, this should be mentioned in the listing description. They cannot ask for a copy without your consent.

If you are uncomfortable with a booking I suggest you contact airbnb for a cancellation.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You haven't said where this destination. you're going to is, @Cindy850, but as @Marit-Anne0 has said, it is required in some countries. If it's simply a host asking for some sort of 'safety blanket', refer them to the terms and conditions of Airbnb and have C/S cancel (at no cost to you) the booking.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I wouldn't stress, and I'd provide the information requested.   As others have stated, in some countries it's a legal requirement.  Be thankful and take comfort in the fact that you're dealing with a 'solid' Airbnb host who is mindful of the need to comply with local regulations and is covering their own backs in the event of a catastrophic situation.  For example, in a worst case scenario and there's an earthquake, terrorist event or whatever, the host needs to ensure the authorities know the identity of all who might be affected.  It might seem intrusive, but at the end of the day, it's all about keeping everyone safe.