Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

My host said we could change our holiday to 2022, we requested it as per his advice in January and he has waited until 2 days before our original holiday dates to decline to reques

Jazmine20
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

My host said we could change our holiday to 2022, we requested it as per his advice in January and he has waited until 2 days before our original holiday dates to decline to reques

Is there anything we can do? We booked to holiday for 2021, however after realising COVID wasn't going anywhere we requested to change our holiday for 2022. The host declined the first request as he hadn't updated prices for 2022.  He informed us he had changed the prices and we could change it. We requested the date change in January.  He has only just declined the request today ( 2 days before the original date) and is only offering 50% of our money back. This is devastating for us as we have never had much money and my dad finally got his pension so has been able to treat us to our very first family holiday and now we could potentially be loosing a lot of money. We do not want to cancel it just change it for 2022. Is there anything we can do?

1 Reply 1
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jazmine20 That's really terrible of the host: extremely sketchy. If they agreed to the arrangement with allowing you to reschedule to 2022 via Airbnb messenger, contact Airbnb and show them what's happened and request a full refund. I like contacting Airbnb on Twitter @airbnbhelp. It's also easier to reference the conversation you had with the host. I would avoid rebooking with the same host if I were you, as they don't seem very ethical. 

One thing for the future, though: I would not have waited this long to follow up with the host and/or Airbnb when your request wasn't accepted. The sooner they accept a change, the sooner others can book the dates, so it shows that he probably wasn't acting on good faith from the get go. 

Good luck! I hope you're able to get it sorted out.