My property is officially for sale

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

My property is officially for sale

So many mixed feelings. 

We have it one weekend only. Open house Sunday. Offers due Monday. Already 3 showings booked and it went up a few hours ago.

I want it to sell/don't want it to sell. I would not miss ABB. So if it sells for the price I want, it will be far less stress and drama. But I love the property. So if we don't get close I am happy to keep it. Having it offline for a week to get it listed has been a huge relief. I am so burnt out on hosting. No matter what happens I will be changing my strategy. 

Let me know if you want to see a link or a cute video tour! I can't post it here. 

Edit* @Stephanie added Instagram link to @Laura2592 's house tour https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ca7W-8StWUl/?utm_medium=copy_link

31 Replies 31
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

Well, maybe you will now have time to write that book 🙂

Marissa160
Level 10
Dallas, TX

@Laura2592  I will miss your advice!! But I totally understand, hosting can be stressful and it’s hard trying to keep everyone happy. Keep us posted on your journey! 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

Best of luck, and if the place does sell, I hope that you have as stress-free as possible home sale process (if there is such a thing).

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Debra300 "stress-free as possible home sale process (if there is such a thing)." 

Yes, I can attest to there being such a thing. 🙂  When I sold my house in Canada back in 2010, the very first people who came to open house said they'd been looking for a place like mine for 2 years, put in an offer that day, which was 10,000 lower than it was listed at, we met in the middle and the sale was completed within the week.

As @Laura2592's place isn't some generic box, but quite unique, it's just a matter of the right people coming along, and once that happens, hopefully they will have a similar experience.

Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

@Laura2592 wishing you all the best. Since I have joined Airbnb I have appreciated your knowledge, experience and honestly. Hope the house sells for the price you want - you deserve it. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Laura2592   I would think it should sell in a couple of weeks, it's a perfect weekend house for DC.  Would/will you ever put your NO house on Airbnb? I think you said no, but can't remember.  Good luck.

@Mark116 we don't have plans to put the New Orleans place up at this time. Too much red tape with the permit, and we don't want to deal with guests there 🙂

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Thanks everyone! 2 offers at full asking so far...more coming by the 3pm deadline. We will see what they look like and go from there. 

@Laura2592 That’s exciting news! 

(This means you will surely be leaving us, though 😩:frowning_face:)

@Colleen253 we shall see. We have not seen any of the offers yet. The realtor will compile and send them all over at once. 

We had a freak snow storm on Saturday and it killed a bunch of showings so I am surprised we got any offers at all!

@Laura2592   I'll miss you!  For three reasons 1) your awesome stories of insanely entitled guests, 2) your great diplomatic language skills, of which I have plagarized some of your lines and 3) I always wanted to rent your cottage for a weekend.

@Mark116 thanks Mark!

We are still waiting for the offer spreadsheet to come over. In the meantime, the entitlement doesn't end. I have someone who saw pics online find me on social media and INSIST I sell it to them despite not touring or being approved to buy etc because its exactly what they have always wanted. I sent them my realtor's info but they keep messaging....

It’s bad out there. We are not for sale but bombarded with unsolicited calls about selling our place.

Now I offer to sell for $7 million, no inspections, no warranty as is. Cash only. 

it’s been peaceful this last week lol..

BTW, a friend flips houses. He’s ex military. When he figured these pests were texting and calling constantly to buy his properties (at a deep dish punt) he started reciprocating several times a day offering to sell at twice the market value  until they all agreed to stop. 😂 

There should be a do not call list for property owners.

@Christine615 I know! Its insane. 

We bought our main house in 2020. There were multiple offers and we won it by a few hundred dollars in a bidding war. It sold over asking, but honestly was priced low and what we paid was still fair.

A couple who lost has been contacting our realtor this year, offering to buy the place for $200K over what we paid in 2020. They keep asking if we are "done" with it yet because they feel that its "their" house that was somehow unfairly taken from them. They have a whole sob story about how they can't find another property they like better and keep upping the offer. I might even consider this if they weren't such jerks and so entitled about it.

@Laura2592 

That is insane! Want to know if you are done with it yet? After two years?

Tell them it's $7 million (If they bite, I only want enough commission to pay of the USC film school loans I took out for kid #2 - lol!)

That's the best story I've heard in years.

By the way - your house is AMAZING. I'd be sad to sell it. But I suspect there is more to the story and I think the couple is lying about intent if they're offering $200K plus over asking price. Land developers? Gold and oil on the property? Going to subdivide or tear down and build a bigger house (the lot is stunning). (It's not that hard to check court records, et al if they're up to something).

Something is up and it might be worth doing some investigating to figure out what they know that you don't know. This feels like a Netflix mystery movie in the making 🙂