Mystery of the Fridge Internal Light

Lee-Anne-and-Shane0
Level 2
Moana, Australia

Mystery of the Fridge Internal Light

Hi,

just wanted to share this weird, but harmless, experience - and to see if anyone might be able to explain it.

I got to my property after several back to back stays over Christmas. I quickly noticed that the interior lights in the fridge and freezer were off. The fridge worked fine otherwise. 
I eventually tried to fix it and noticed that someone had sticky-taped the micro switches shut, so the fridge thought it was permanently shut and kept the lights off. As soon as I removed the sticky-tape, everything was back to normal. I even found the packet of sticky tape that they had purchased for the job!

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would do that?! Whyyy????

Does anyone have any ideas?

My only possible thought is that they were using the fridge as an air conditioner in the hot weather because the fridge fan also turns off when the door is open. However there is ducted reverse-cycle airconditioning, and it wasn’t a normal Adelaide hot Christmas period. 

Can anyone solve this mystery?

Shane 

23 Replies 23
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oof, tell me about it @Sarah977. Especially those red ones 😨

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy  The other thing about those lights is that while just one of them would suck almost no electricity at all, the average person might easily have 20 things in their house that all have those lights and time readouts. So added up, with them on 24/7, in places where electricity is expensive, its just an unnecessary addition to the electric bill.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Maybe @Lee-Anne-and-Shane0, they didn’t want anyone to know they were feeding the gremlins after midnight?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Sarah977 @Ann72 @Quincy @@@Is the character in Better Call Sal  who is allergic to electricity based on you? 😂

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Could be us indeed @Inna22 😂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

💯 @Inna22 😂😂😂

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Lee-Anne-and-Shane0 , interesting mystery, some things you can't know!  If they did try to use the fridge as a room chiller, they would find out very quickly that leaving the door open wont cool a room much less a house, only heat it up with the heat discharged from the back of the refrig trying to cool the boiling refrigerant that is trying to chill an area 1000 times larger than it was made to cool.   

I would more guess that someone was severely light reactive, Was your guest wearing a black cloak and checked in after dark?  Stay well, JR

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Lee-Anne-and-Shane0 Some people are obsessive about not having any unnecessary lights on? Obsessive energy/bulb savers?

Peter1
Host Advisory Board Alumni
SF, CA

My guess is that the Guest has light sensitive eyes, so for example, when he/she goes to the fridge in the middle of the night, the light in the fridge appears painfully glaring (especially if the Guest also has a hangover). 😊