Ne Host need advice!

Answered!

Ne Host need advice!

Hello, We are considering hosting our guest house on our property while we live in main house to generate some extra income.  Do you guys recommend that we stay off site when our guest are here or is it okay to stay in our home while renting the guest house?  Do others have experience renting basements or rooms in their houses while living there?  Am nervous having strangers on the property at the same time we are here and looking for some real world experience for you seasoned host!  Appreciate any thoughts and advice on this and thank you in advance.

1 Best Answer
Lindie6
Level 5
Cape Town, South Africa

Morning @MItel0 Happy to hear that you are willing to host strangers in your space. We have experienced this both ways (travelled and stayed with hosts on the same property and on our own without them AND similarly hosted guests while we were on site and sometimes, without even meeting them in person.) And I admit, sometimes I've been very nervous about it for so many reasons (and all the horror stories you read on the internet). May I reassure you that often the experience is uplifting and enlightening. Most people who travel are kind, open-minded, respectful and often we've wondered afterwards if they spent ANY time in our place. Most people want a safe, quiet, comfortable place to sleep and store their luggage while the explore the area. What works for me, is to quickly establish a relationship and to communicate often beforehand, making sure guests understand boundaries and house rules. To me, red flags are guests who don't communicate well and are unwilling to provide necessary information and confirmation that they will abide by our house rules. In 10+ years of hosting, we have had 99% positive experiences and met interesting and inspiring people. You will soon find your way, I'm sure. Just start small. And trust your gut. Enjoy your journey!

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Lindie6
Level 5
Cape Town, South Africa

Morning @MItel0 Happy to hear that you are willing to host strangers in your space. We have experienced this both ways (travelled and stayed with hosts on the same property and on our own without them AND similarly hosted guests while we were on site and sometimes, without even meeting them in person.) And I admit, sometimes I've been very nervous about it for so many reasons (and all the horror stories you read on the internet). May I reassure you that often the experience is uplifting and enlightening. Most people who travel are kind, open-minded, respectful and often we've wondered afterwards if they spent ANY time in our place. Most people want a safe, quiet, comfortable place to sleep and store their luggage while the explore the area. What works for me, is to quickly establish a relationship and to communicate often beforehand, making sure guests understand boundaries and house rules. To me, red flags are guests who don't communicate well and are unwilling to provide necessary information and confirmation that they will abide by our house rules. In 10+ years of hosting, we have had 99% positive experiences and met interesting and inspiring people. You will soon find your way, I'm sure. Just start small. And trust your gut. Enjoy your journey!