Need advice please

Need advice please

New to hosting.   We live out of state so we need to rely on a managing agent to handle the day to day for our townhouse.   Recently the water was shut off because the managing agent failed to make payment.   We had no idea this was an issue as all notifications were going directly to them.   Unfortunately we had a tenant in the home during the shut off.   The water worked in the am before they went out for the day but did not work when they got home in the evening.   They notified us and  thankfully we were able to resolve the issue quickly.    Aside from being embarrassing for us it was an inconvenience for our tenants as they were not able to shower before they went out for dinner.    We feel terrible and want to make this right but we’re not sure how.   We were thinking of a partial refund but we’re not sure of the amount.   All in all the water was probably out for about an hour of the time they were home but they made it clear that they were inconvenienced.  How should we handle?  Also looking for recommendations for managing agents in the Davenport florida area.  

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. Firstly why are you having your manager pay your utilities for you. Set it up so you pay them yourself - then you can claim back against your taxes.

2. I would find a new co-host/manager

3. I would give the guest some chocolates/wine or similar with a nice card with a note of apology,.

@Andrew-And-Carla2 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I echo what @Helen3 has said.

What I have done the few times that I have had unforeseen problems that have inconvenienced guests is to give a gift certificate to a restaurant of their choice to use during their visit. You can call most restaurants to set this up.

As is done in hotels, I advise not to give cash refunds, even though it might be more convenient.