Nervous Nellie, Dipping Her Toes Back In..

Julia0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Nervous Nellie, Dipping Her Toes Back In..

Hello All,

I am an in-home host with one/two bedrooms (at one point three) in my home.

Been here for many years having started with Airbnb after they took over "Crashpadder" in London in around 2010. Hosted quite a few people and those early days were really what it all seemed to be about - we, guests and hosts, were all new and it was exciting.

Fast forward to pre-covid and I had really great workers as return guests - Brilliant!! No trust issues, no hassle, no reviews, no pressure, but this has gone now via the route of change.

Now getting back in as Mon - Thurs/Friday and expecting first guest for three nights from Monday 15/8. Two good reviews, one not so much, but these are over a three year period so I am hopeful.

Why am I so nervous??? Been there and have so many t'shirts.

I think it's because Airbnb has changed so much that I might not be the type of place they want. Am worried about false allegations resulting in suspension/refund/nonsensical complaints all of which seem rife lately.

Will be cleaning like a demon for next couple of days and keeping everything crossed - wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes!

2 Replies 2
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Julia0 

Welcome back and good luck!

Yes, you are right. A lot has changed. I didn't start hosting as early as you. I very briefly had an apartment on Airbnb in 2012 while I was waiting for the sale to go through, but only 'properly' started hosting in my own home in 2016.

What has changed since then? A lot I guess. Too much to list here. I guess the biggest change is the users, both in terms of guests and hosts. Airbnb is now very far from its original offering of an airbed on someone's floor! I have certainly noticed of late that a lot of guests come with higher expectations and more requirements than they did two or three years ago. However, I do believe there are still guests out there that are looking for what you offer. 

The most important thing is to ensure the guest is good fit for your listing and vice versa and try to weed out the guests who are never going to be happy there BEFORE they book. It's easier said than done!

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Julia0 Welcome back, and I wish you all the best on your new adventure! 😃

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen