New Hosts: How Do You Feel About Starting Your Hosting Adventure?

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

New Hosts: How Do You Feel About Starting Your Hosting Adventure?

842784117294841216_A007C008_230907_A4PC_FINAL.jpg

We’re thrilled to have you on board as part of our vibrant Hosting community 🎉

Embarking on a Hosting journey is an exciting experience for new Hosts. As you prepare to welcome your first guests into your homes and create new experiences, a range of emotions and expectations emerge. 

How do you feel about opening your doors to guests for the first time, and what are you most excited to learn or improve upon during your Hosting journey? 🤩

We’re here to support you every step of the way with resources, guidance and a community of experienced Hosts. Tell us what kind of support you’re looking for and what goals you’re aiming to achieve as a new Host. 👇 

Looking forward to seeing your replies, 

Rebecca 🦋 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

157 Replies 157
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Jackson184,

In our community, there's a fantastic board titled 👉Ask About Your Listing, where both new and experienced Hosts come together to share tips on enhancing their listings through 👉Critique My Listing threads. Would you be interested in joining this initiative?

All the best,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Kenneth552
Level 2
Athens, GA

Good Morning.....  We are a few months into this process, and we are learning something with each hosting experience.  Overall, we have found it worthwhile, enjoyable and profitable.  We are still refining our "goals" to achieve our desired outcomes.  Our rooms are on the top floor of the house we live in, and the design is a very open set of spaces.  This means that having anyone else in our home is almost guaranteed to impact us, with the top of the list being our sleep patterns.  Both of us sleep very lightly (I have been a Soldier for decades, and I hear everything).  It also generates traffic through our living room where we might normally enjoy the TV from the couch.  

Our key lessons:

1.  The greatest impact for us has been "longer term guests."  Cleaning and accommodating others in our house for a few days is a light enough burden.  By the end of a week, they start sort of "moving in."  The demands on the house and lifestyle increase steadily; greater use of the kitchen with the associated messes, reliance on the smoking area at all hours, bathroom hygiene falls off, while there is no curfew they also start becoming more active during what would be quiet hours.  Living with this for a few days is "the cost of doing business," and we have no issue.  One of our current guests (actually 2 men) have been "great" but we are in the 3rd week and I feel like both sides are becoming less careful and graceful.  We will shift our listings to shorter stays, perhaps up to 6 days.  Notably, the cleaning fee is also "divided" by the number of nights in a single stay.

2.  Ultimately, this is a "side hustle" for us, as much about sharing our home and location with folks coming to the University or our small city for various reasons as it may be about making money.  Therefore, we will be refining our calendar to set occupancy to around 30%.  9 days per month with occupants in either room will not alter or interfere with our lifestyle.  Note that when there is football, a graduation ceremony or orientations at the college, the whole "region" jumps in price.  That was our initial focus.

3.  Read both of these as we are trying, learning through experience, and becoming better at being who "we are."  We are also learning from each guest who comes to our home.

Best of Luck, and thanks for the Community!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Thank you so much for sharing this @Kenneth552.

I would like to invite you to start a new conversation here, sharing these great lessons, so that more hosts will see them and can learn from your experience.

Regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Cristina3502
Level 1
Lima, Peru

Hello Rebecca, I'm very happy because, so far, I have received guests every month and they have all given me a 5* reply. So I'm glad to know that I'm doing it ok!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Thank you so much for sharing this @Cristina3502. Keep us posted on how everything progresses 😋

-----

Alison1177
Level 2
Sutton-in-Craven, United Kingdom

Hi Rebecca 

Thank you for your message.

I am pleased with my experience with my first guests.

I like the chat service enabling communication between myself and guests.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Alison1177it's great to hear that you had an amazing experience with your first guest 😊. Are you hosting short-term or long-term rentals?

Keep us updated 🌻

-----

Alison1177
Level 2
Sutton-in-Craven, United Kingdom

Hi Paula

There were a couple of issues with our first guests. They left the outside lights on in patio area and also the ceiling fan in the lounge.

We are open to both mid and short term let's. 

Ian48599
Level 2
Clive, IA

Hi Rebecca!

Thank you very much for the welcome message.

I'm trilled to join this community and I'm learning step by step every day.

My goal is to have more guests.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Ian48599, It is great to have you here 😊

A great suggestion for new Hosts is to start a 👉critique my listing' thread, where our seasoned Hosts can provide insights on improvements to enhance your chances of receiving more bookings.

I hope this tip is helpful.

-----

Sonya221
Level 2
Marietta, GA

Good day Rebecca, yes please I’d love to join the group chat. This new venture calls for community and engagement. Count me in.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Sonya221, you are already in our community, welcome 😊

As a new Host, you might have some questions or comments, so please feel free to start a New conversation here ,  asking any questions you have. I am sure our lovely Hosts will be more than happy to share their opinions.

All the best,

-----

Rose2552
Level 1
Syracuse, NY

Hi, Beki!

Thank you for reaching out and offering the opportunity to join your forum. It helps knowing there are so many resources, including other hosts, available to new Airbnb hosts. I am very excited to start hosting guest stays, but I am also seriously nervous. With one week to go before my first guest checks in, my fingers are crossed that all goes as I've planned in my head. Lol. I think I've checked all the boxes to ensure my guests have a wonderful experience but I am also looking forward to the feedback I will receive to improve the experience.

As others have said, any advice is welcome!

With warm regards and smiles,

Rose

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Rose2552this sounds very exciting. Please keep us updated on how everything goes with these guests 😊

A great suggestion for new Hosts is to initiate a 👉critique my listing' thread, where our seasoned Hosts can provide insights on improvements to enhance your chances of receiving more bookings.

Regards,

-----

Good morning Rebecca!  Thank you for asking.  So far it has been an wonderful experience.  We have had 5 guest stay with all 5 star reviews.  I had no idea what to expect from guest but it has been very pleasant and easy. With some of the reviews from guest I have requested to change categories to Luxe.  Hoping this works out too!  

Thank you for asking!