New Russian scam?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

New Russian scam?

I just got a private message saying :

Hello, see my ad PLS

hello, can you help me somehow, I'm from Ukraine, the city of Kharkov, a shell hit my house and I live on the street, help if it's not difficult
And tell your friends about me

I’m Ivan https://abnb.me/zcyQgkZFwob

(and a lot of emojis sad smileys, hearts, Ukrainian flags...)

OK, I clicked on the link and the listing is in Cyrillic font so I went to change it to English, and the first thing I noticed was it is written in RUSSIAN with currency in ROUBLES. I checked and yes, Airbnb has a Ukrainian language option as well

Then I noticed the listing is brand new, March 22, no reviews whatsoever, but he has ID verified, phone and email, and the guy says he is a programmer

I am not convinced, are you?

24 Replies 24

@Gordon0  "rewarded those with the ability to host..."

How so? They don't have an ability to host if they are being bombed. It's not like tourism is exactly thriving there right now. The hosts lost their livelihood, and hopefully won't lose their lives. 

Of course they aren't any more deserving than their neighbor who isn't a host, it was just one way to help out, of which there are many.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What I meant, @Sarah977, was those who already had listings and yes, I'm acutely aware what's going on there and know 'it's not like tourism is exactly thriving there right now'. Money can do a lot of good in these circumstances, but as the arrival of scammers (and only the few we're aware of) has illustrated, it can also drive some pretty awful behaviours.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 Not sure I agree with you here. I think as long as the host was operating before the war it is fine to book direct and not stay.

some hosts seem to be being generous and helping others and all are very appreciative.

I also remember that only about 50% of an Oxfam donation actually gets through to the recipient the rest being admin costs. No idea what the percentage is for DEC.

DEC's 'costs' are in the region of 8%, @Mike-And-Jane0. While I'm far from anti the idea of giving, I tend to prefer doing so via an organisation that does so across the board. That said, I absolutely understand that we won't always agree on stuff like this.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah977 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Huma0 @Mark116 et al,

This particular user also messaged myself and many others on the OCM team. Appropriate action has been taken here on the CC and also shared the profile was shared with the appropriate team at Airbnb.

Thank you all for being so diligent! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Branka-and-Silvia0  I got the same one and didn't answer.  Thanks for investigating and posting!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephanie  Thank  you. Wow, he even tried to hit up the moderators! That's pretty bold. 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Branka-and-Silvia0  yes I have had 2 messages via this Airbnb message page first one said thanke you for booking to help me 2nd in Russian think same Ivan.

When checking both host, joined March and no reviews. I felt it was a scam. What alarmed me was that message came from CC messages. 

We just have to have our alerts out and be aware. But my concern is someone has access via Airbnb Community Communication to send these emails.

What has Airbnb internet technician able to stop this access to us and our internet emails messages from Airbnb ?

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Suggest you report this user immediately to warn other hosts.

Susan

@Susan990  Didn't you read through this thread? He messaged the moderators, too, and he has already been dealt with.