Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

New cleaning protocols in may

Answered!
Melonie7
Level 2
Cape Coral, FL

New cleaning protocols in may

Is it true there will have to be 24 hours between bookings if you comply with cleaning protocols and 72 hours if you dont?

Top Answer
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

@Melonie7@Jessica-and-Henry0@Susan17@Sarah977@Mark116, @Shannon199, @Amy375,

Just to provide you a little more clarity around this from the Airbnb Team. 

The new cleaning protocol is not mandatory. Hosts who follow the new cleaning guidelines will get a special call-out on their listings. For hosts who choose not to commit or can’t commit to the protocol, we’re offering an optional 72-hour booking buffer between stays. For more information, please refer to this Resource Center article: Coming soon: A new Enhanced Cleaning Initiative for hosts

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

39 Replies 39
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Melonie7 You have to comply with the COVID cleaning protocols regardless of how many days you have between bookings.

I have no problem with that...im asking about the new protocols that will begin in may that require 24 hours between bookings 

Shannon199
Level 10
California, United States

I am reading that the cleaner can not enter to clean for 24 hours after a visit. So, yes, there has to be a 24 hour period between guests.

Amy375
Level 2
Crozet, VA

I haven't heard anything about this from Airbnb, but our local news just announced this new rule from Airbnb effective here in the Charlottesville, Virginia area!

Shannon199
Level 10
California, United States

It's in the Airbnb Newsroom.

Ummmmmm........ so who's going to check if a host actually complies with cleaning protocols or not??? Anyone can opt-in, click "yes I comply" and move on. No one would be the wiser. Just like guests lying about the purpose of their visits or clicking yes I read the listing details and house rules but not actually doing it. This is just another trick to con people into believing Airbnb is doing something when in reality they actually do nothing whatsoever to guarantee the safety of guests and hosts. It is all up to the individual. Airbnb does nothing to actually check or confirm anything. 

And I'd also assume that regardless of how Airbnb expects us to clean our homes/listings, hosts who are allowed to host will act responsibly and do what they feel is necessary to keep themselves and their cleaners safe. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/hotels/2020/04/27/coronavirus-airbnb-mandate-cleaning-24-hours...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/organizations/cleaning-disinfection.html

@Jessica-and-Henry0   Exactly.  You can't make it up.

@Jessica-and-Henry0 @Mark116

Lol! Yep - very first thing that went through my mind! Just because a host is forced to leave their place empty for 72, or even 24 hrs between guests, is no guarantee whatsoever that they've bothered their arses to clean the place at all before the next guest arrives. 

If they insist on carrying on with this farce, at the very least, those with historically high cleaning ratings should be exempt, as they've already proven their cleanliness and hygiene standards.

Let's face it though - this has far less to do with cleanliness standards, and far more to do with Airbnb making things untenable for those still taking short term stays, and boosting their current push towards longer-term rentals (which they laughably see as the key to riding out the COVID storm)

Kinda like when they introduced their "Non-Discrimination policy" as a response to the #AirbnbWhileBlack crisis back in 2016, which conveniently resulted in the majority of hosts in saturated markets having no choice but to reluctantly sign up to the previously failing Instant Book programme. You can always depend on Airbnb to turn a catastrophe to their own advantage. 

@Susan17 

The first thought that came to me was that Airbnb is creating a loophole to avoid any sort of responsibility IF guests or hosts somehow become exposed to covid-19 during a stay. 

Like always..... as long as Airbnb gets their service fee....... everything else is the host's responsibility. 

One man sows, and another man reaps. 

Yes, and it specifically states in the agreement if you commit to follow the cleaning standards that you as host take on all liability

Melonie7
Level 2
Cape Coral, FL

I currently lease a private apartment that has been closed down ...i replaced all the floors with a hard surface and repainted the whole place..how can i make money closing the booking for 24 hours after each guest..i dont have a minimum stay or a cleaning fee and i bleach and launder everything after every guests..this will basically cut my business in half

@Melonie7  The issue is that no one should enter the space to clean, whether it's you or a hired cleaner, for at least a day after a guest leaves during this coronavirus crisis, because the virus can hang in the air, not just on surfaces. 

This requirement would only cut your business in half if you only ever have 1 night bookings. I've always had one day prep time between bookings, but my guests stay an average of 10 days. 

@Sarah977  We have, or rather had, a lot of guests who come to NYC as a part of a longer vacation so they stay only 2-4 days, if we didn't have the same day/in and out we would have lost a huge percentage of our bookings.  I would guess there are a lot of hosts who are in a similar situation.

@Melonie7 

I have a private room listing and most of my guests stayed anywhere from 4 weeks ~ 4 months.... I always blocked at least 3 days up to 1 week to do a proper deep clean after each stay.