No cable available. Would you refund?

Answered!
Donna249
Level 2
Morell, Canada

No cable available. Would you refund?

I have a cottage on the ocean water it's very well kept and not fancy but very clean very beautiful big windows peered and I'm a super host

I had people book in there for 3 nights without asking any questions in advance other them whether the dates were available. They arrived they haven't even stayed one night and they're already asking for a refund for the next 2 nights because there is no cable and they want to watch the basketball tournament.

It does state there is ATV but no word do I say I have cable. I've never had anyone ask for a refund before for this reason most people ask a lot of questions before they book.

What should I do? Any advice is appreciated

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Donna249 

Donna, I notice on your Peggy's Cottage listing you do state you have a TV, but you give no details.

This problem used to come up frequently and Airbnb have included an edit box to show exactly what sort of TV is offered to guests. It stops these problems.

If you go to your listing details page and under the amenities section click the TV icon and this box will appear.......

TV listed options.png

It is imperative that you fill that edit box out, if you don't the guest may well have reason to complain because, the omission was your fault not Airbnb's, or the guests. Before Airbnb offered this box the host could legitimately say......"Well Airbnb don't give me an option to show what I offer"....but that's not the case any more. Here is what the guest sees in a general amenities search if you have edited TV......

TV listed options 2.png

When you fill that edit box out the features you offer will show alongside the TV icon, and if they don't appear there you can refuse the guests request.....they simply did not read the description carefully.

You do have to be precise in what you offer because guests associate amenities with what they are used to. This guest might only use cable at home and it wouldn't cross their minds that you don't offer it.....to them, it's just TV. You have to be specific! My feeling is you are going to have to offer some sort of compensation Donna, sorry to say that but, the guest does have a case!

Cheers........Rob

View Best Answer in original post

44 Replies 44
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donna249  No way you should agree to a refund. If you don't list cable TV as an amenity, guests have no reason to expect it or complain about it. 

In the future, I suggest you communicate with guests when they book, not just wait for them to ask questions. Make sure they have thoroughly read through all the listing information, including the amenities list and the house rules.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Donna249 

So there is a TV, as also mentioned on the listing. But how is it connected to receive programs ?

If the TV can not be used, guests have to right to complain or ask for some refund.

Maybe they can watch the tournement via Internet ?

BTW

My listings have TV, connected to cable network. It is my experience guests never use it, they use their laptops do view online.

Best regards,

Emiel

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Emiel1,

ATV = aerial TV antenna to receive local over the air channels.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Donna249,

Do not offer them a discount.  The guests are responsible for reading the details of the listing and asking questions if they have particular points of interest. They would have still complained even if you had cable, but not the channels they wanted watch.  I recommend that you state in your listing description that cable service is not available.  If you allow guests to plug things into your TV, inform them that they can bring a streaming device to watch their preferred viewing options.  You can also connect a streaming device (I recommend Roku over Firestick, because it has buttons for popular apps on the remote).

I also don't offer cable in my Atlanta apartment, but do provide a Roku stick for people to log onto streaming services.  Cable subscribers in the US (and most likely in Canada) can stream many of the channels that are included within their plans.  This is what I have in my listing details

"Entertainment: - A large TV with antenna for local channels, and a Roku streaming device which can be used with your Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or cable streaming service (there is no cable service in the apartment)."

@Donna249 

I agree completely with the suggestions of @Debra300 .  No discount if you didn't state explicitly that cable or other pay service was available on your TV.  Sounds like the guests made assumptions and didn't verify via your listing nor contact you.  As she recommended above, we have added the following statement to our Welcome message sent after a booking is received, "Please make a point of reading the entire listing and reviewing the house rules in order to avoid any misunderstandings which may impact your stay. "

Our listing only has broadcast (antenna) TV and Roku (streaming), so this reminder is sent a few days before guests arrive and also included in their check-in message: "We now provide Roku for guests.  Are you familiar with streaming apps/channels (such as Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, or SlingTV)?  If not, would you like us to set up some free channels for you?  We are available to demonstrate this service if you’d like assistance.

REMINDER:  Copy & bring the login information/accounts for any services you want to access during your stay.  Hosts do NOT provide their personal logins for the channels."

These steps have helped us avoid similar issues with guests.  We did have a former guest who was not happy with our channel selection during our 1st year as hosts.  The comment hasn't been stated since adding Roku.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Donna249,

I looked at your listing, and it's surely is in a prime spot for relaxation and looking at wonderful water views.  Some people will want to totally disconnect from the outside world, but more will want the ability to watch television to see the news, a show or movie.  Your TV is an older style, and guests cannot plug in the more commonly used streaming devices.  If it's within your budget, you can replace it with a 32 inch smart TV for $200CAD or less.  I usually buy my electronics from Amazon's Warehousedeals, and get good deals on items that are slightly used or returned, but unopened.  If you are concerned about theft of the TV, you can mount it on the wall. I think this upgrade would help improve the overall rating for the listing.  Although guests are writing very complimentary reviews they are leaving less than 5 stars for the overall rating, and now the cottage has a mediocre rating.  This may impact who you attract as guests, and drag down the nightly rate that you can charge.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Donna249 

If an amenity isn’t listed, the guest can’t complain about it being absent. However it’s best with something like TV to be specific and include both what you offer and what you DON’T offer. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I once had a picture on my listing that showed a TV (with a movie playing), mistake; it insinuated we had TV/Cable. By virtue of our listing's isolation (an island) we thought it was implied we probably would not have cable. Upon the first whining, the picture was instantly removed and we made no further reference to TV, Cable, satellites, drums, even two-cans with a tight string between them. 

@Fred13  I couldn't fathom even spending one second in front of a screen anyway, if I was a guest at your listing. People sure are 'interesting' aren't they?🙄

I must say 99%, when I mention 'No TV', they say "Great'.

Parents with teenagers - "The Internet could go down once in a while", their response - "Great if it does, don't turn it back on; we finally could now have a real conversation with our kids'. 

@Colleen253  I actually find a TV mounted on the wall or set up like the centerpiece of the room to be really off-putting. And don't even get me started on TVs in the bedroom. I haven't watched TV since I was about 16 and anytime I go to someone's house where it's on, I can't imagine how anyone could stand that constant noise.

Thankfully I've never had a guest who even mentioned the fact that there's no TVs in my home. They didn't spend a bunch of money on a vacation to sit around watching TV.

@ @Fred13 haha string telephones!

Aye @Mike-And-Helen0 , with an occasional cage with a hamster on a treadmill every so often  to keep up the volume.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Donna249  There's a basketball tournament?