No first message from guest when booking

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

No first message from guest when booking

Five of my last seven reservations didn't include a first message. This seems odd as this never happened before. I updated my rules to include a first message when making a reservation but just wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue? I didn't see any recent post on the issue. 

I thought a first message was required to make a reservation? Not a good way to start a booking. So far they have been responsive getting back with me,  but just had two today so waiting to see if they respond. 

If I don't hear back from, which would mean zero communication, should I contact CS to have it canceled? Problem is risk having to deal with CS.   

If guest continue to make reservations without any first message I'm not sure how to keep hosting. 

88 Replies 88

@Emilia42 I do see the pre booking message field. Chaos and confusion reigns, as

per usual with major platform changes.

@John5097 

@Colleen253 Interesting. So this new process hasn't rolled out to me yet. I booked a nearby listing (about 1 hour from me) last month and the new booking process (as shown in Brian's Video) was up and running. 

@Emilia42 

This is how mine looks now. I'm not sure how this will look to guest booking or when exactly they need to answer the pre booking message, or how I will receive it. I also have this in my house rules to include a first message. 

I always planned to update this but so far haven't had any problems. 

I don't think Airbnb understands that about 30% of guest only communication is the first message. 

Now I have the unpleasant task of contacting customer support as one guest still has had zero communication so will likely just cancel them. I'm super busy this week as well. 

@Colleen253 

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 9.24.25 AM.png

I changed my settings, too, John5097. And I completely agree with Emilia42: "It's absurd that Airbnb thinks that this new optional communication is going to encourage hosts to use instant book! I am huge on instant booking but something like this could break it. The initial communication message means EVERYTHING to me."

I was shocked yesterday when a guest's booking was CONFIRMED before I had a chance to review his request. I've spent most of the morning trying to figure this out. If guests elect not to send pre-booking messages I'll have to turn Instant Book off. Surely this is not what Airbnb intends for us to do. 

I agree @Kit18 @Emilia42 @John5097 , I too have used Instant Book with success during my 2 years of hosting.  I really appreciate the initial message from the guests and think that requiring this message establishes the importance of communication in the host-guest relationship. I have been reading this thread with concern and checked into changing my settings this morning. However I am confused by the contradictory wording on the settings page. You can select "Pre-booking message required: Require guests to read and respond to a message before they can confirm their reservation," but the words that follow are "Guests will receive this message once they book."  @Liv, how is it a "pre-booking message" if it is received by the guests "once they book"? 

Jennifer1773_0-1622308419528.png

Glad @John5097  that you have ticked those boxes.  I tick anything in my favour! 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @John5097,

Sorry about that, hopefully the guest will get in touch soon 🤞

In regards to the settings, you got it right. If your listing is Instant Book, you can require a message from all guests by selecting ‘Pre-booking message required’ in your Instant Book settings. If your listing is Request to Book, there are no changes.

I hope this helps clearing things up and that potential guests are required to message you from now on. 

Please do let us know if you have any other concerns!

Thanks,

Liv

@Liv 

Yes thanks for chiming in! 

First off the contact info for Airbnb in the help section needs to be updated. The toll free number 1 855 424 7262 isn't valid. Once I did reach CS, it prompted me twice to respond to a text message to see if some article answered my question. Then when it said to push 2 for help, it didn't work several times in several situations. 

Finally a CS rep canceled the one reservation without penalty to me so the dates opened back up. The guest then responded soon and was nice about it and totally understood the situation. She was on vacation in Alaska and said didn't have good phone access but still managed to respond right away after the cancelation. She was able to book another  place. I think that was the professional way to handle it as I couldn't wait too long. She said she didn't know guest were supposed to include a first message. So in my opinion this is a failure on Airbnb's part to have this requirement for guest to include a first message (see link above for Airbnb help topic.) Then let them make the reservation without including it. After 5 in row with no communication it becomes stressful because this never happened before and host were not informed of the changes. 

The open nights for my listing rebooked within a few hours. The new guest also happened to be new with no reviews and sent a lovely first message and request to book, my first request to book. So that part is working now and I liked it. 

While I've had over a 100 guest cancel, that was my first time canceling a guest ever. I agree with @Emilia42. With Instant Book the first message is everything. 80% of guest just send a brief first message and maybe a quick "thank you" before they arrive. Maybe only 10% of guest or less have a question about anything. Also had I known Airbnb had made these changes it would have been different. Its a terrible way to start a reservation. As this never happened before I thought the guest simply didn't bother to read the listing or rules at all. 

I've never gotten below a 5 star review, but I don't think these 4 guest will have been happy with host requesting more information after they made the reservation. Guest simply don't like to communicate. I think most new gust try to respond by text which doesn't work. So its inherent to Airbnb. I'm used to just a brief first message then a glowing review. At first I was wondering if guest were enjoying their trip, but unless I happen to see them if we are both leaving at the same time, most don't respond to any kind of message, and leave amazing review. 

I realize the executives at Airbnb will do whatever they want and don't intend to make things harder for host, but this was a good example of things were going great, and they made changes without any warning that resulted in a canceled guest. Also, this can't be good to have zero commuication from guest. It could start a new trend of disregarding the host and house rules, if they feel they don't have to communicate at all. For example one of the guest who didn't include a message was booking for someone else. 

Of course I don't expect you or anyone here to change things. Just tying to communicate the situation. I'll likely get a less than 5 star review from one of these guest. I'm also implementing and considering other options. 

@John5097 

“It could start a new trend of disregarding the host and house rules”.

This is already a thing, thanks to Airbnb’s long standing tradition of discouraging guests from reading the house rules. It’s 
intentional....why risk a guest changing their mind and not booking a listing, after reading the house rules? 

Remember when the house rules used to be buried at the very bottom of the listing? Then they made an improvement by moving the rules to the top, with a banner that read “make sure this host’s house rules work for you before you book...’click for details’”. 

Not long after that, they quietly edited it to read the way it does now, burying the house rules well and good, once again.....“This host doesn’t allow pets parties or smoking...’click for details’. Well, no one is going to click for details, because that tells them all they need to know, right? They are clueless to the fact that there is a whole lot of unique info behind the link. 

In my rules I ask the booking guest to supply me the full names of everyone on the booking (because Airbnb doesn’t share other guest info with hosts). I can tell you that 9 out of 10 guests aren’t reading my unique house rules because 9 out of 10 booking requests arrive without this info. 

Then, at booking, the rules, cancellation policy, etc. are well hidden again, behind tiny little links that look like fine print. Things are certainly not set to improve, as we see in the video how fast and easy it is for guests to go from choosing a listing to booking. We have Brian himself setting a lovely example for guests by skipping over clicking the house rules when he was booking to stay with the alpacas. And he certainly wasn’t into sending a first message. Never mind those pesky extra steps, guest! Just book! A perfect illustration of the disregard Airbnb has for its hosts. Tone deaf comes to mind.

@Emilia42 I’m curious, with your recent experience booking as guest, were the hosts house rules included in your booking confirmation email? How were they displayed? That was another improvement they supposedly implemented and I'm wondering if it quietly went away or changed, too.

@Colleen253 

Thanks for the information. I also realized guest didn't read the listing as some still weren't aware there was no stove although its plastered all over my listing. 

My strategy has been staying booked well in advance. It just happens to be very popular destination and perfect for a couple. Now by having to add restrictions and extra steps for guest I may not book as far in advance and end up with lesser quality guest, as guest who plan way ahead are the best. I didn't even require a profile picture. 

Also when tying to set up Request to Book a window ask if you are ok with fewer bookings and your listing dropping in the search, which would also equate to fewer booking and less quality as I wouldn't be booked for months in advance. I also keep my rates very attractive for guest for the same reason, so they book way in advance. 

So by adding restrictions I may have to also list on VRBO, which means I'd have to use Request to Book. 

I think its just how things are especially with corporations. Loyalty now is a thing of the past. 

I'm hoping the changes I made keeps my listing on track. I think its a fine line between attracting quality guest and troublesome guest. If I start getting major problems, like significant damages, I'll need to rent out long term with a lease agreement. 

Hi @John5097, I think you and I have similar hosting strategies. I have two places that are perfect for couples so I am not worried about the whole party/breaking rules scene. I ask very little of my guests and 99% have been great. As far as booking requirements setting, I don't ask for a profile photo or previous reviews but the pre-booking message and government ID are both musts. I don't think that either one of those "restrictions" has prevented me from getting bookings. Hopefully, you will have the same results.

@Colleen253 

This is what the house rules look like on the e-mail confirmation:

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.58.36 AM.png

When I click "show all" it takes me back to the main listing page but not to the specific house rules section. 

I can see the house rules clearly listed on my itinerary close to the check-in details and the house manual. 

@Emilia42 I was just looking at yours and @John5097 's listings. It seems they have recently changed the house rules banner again, this time back to more like the original. It now at least reads 'show more', indicating that there is actually more there. Hopefully that change sticks.

@Emilia42 Thanks I was wondering what settings you had. I get so many guest with no reviews recently and those are were the ones who didn't include a message. 

@Colleen253 I think Brian should be careful not to cultivate and attract high risk guest. At some point you have to consider not risking a policy that isn't sustainable, or risk becoming the slum lord of the STR. 

Actually I'm surprised its worked out this well. Hopefully my guest will keep loving it. 

@Liv @Emilia42 @Colleen253 

Looks like the changes I made are working great! Just got another reservation with a perfect intro message and 14 five star reviews. Yey! I think guest like a bit more guidance instead of just rushing through the booking as fast as possible. 

There still seems to be some confusion about when guest are requested to include a message withiin the instant book messages. I'm hoping guest aren't getting the request after they book. 

I also included it in my house rules, so maybe they just saw it there, and not all guest will bother reading the rules.

So I'll keep the requirment for guest with no reviews to inquire first. 

Guess I'll have to wait and see. But its very encouraging for guest to be including a first message again!