No first message from guest when booking

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

No first message from guest when booking

Five of my last seven reservations didn't include a first message. This seems odd as this never happened before. I updated my rules to include a first message when making a reservation but just wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue? I didn't see any recent post on the issue. 

I thought a first message was required to make a reservation? Not a good way to start a booking. So far they have been responsive getting back with me,  but just had two today so waiting to see if they respond. 

If I don't hear back from, which would mean zero communication, should I contact CS to have it canceled? Problem is risk having to deal with CS.   

If guest continue to make reservations without any first message I'm not sure how to keep hosting. 

88 Replies 88
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@John5097 Airbnb has changed the process. I recently booked as a guest and the message host box came on a page after I hit confirm. So I would assume any guest could close their browser and ignore that step.

Watch Brian's video here: https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/what-hosts-need-to-know-about-airbnbs-announcement-...

At 11:25 you can see the "new" process. 

P.S. This is a "new feature" being rolled out with Airbnb's big, giant announcement this last week. All part of making it easier for guests to book. Apparently sending the host a quick message was too tiresome of a process. 

@Emilia42 @John5097 Yes, and notice how when Brian is booking that listing, how he just clicks straight onto confirm and pay, completely SKIPPING reading the house rules etc? 

INFURIATING

@Emilia42 @Colleen253 

Oh great. That's what I thought. I'll need to update my booking settings. Zero communication from guest isn't an option. 

One guest two days ago was making a third party booking, for her sister's birthday. 

Another today responded but also mentioned they were on a job. So thats not going to help, host pestering guest while they are at work. 

I'll need to  turn off instant book,  require guest to have reviews, or government ID. I'll still stay busy but just a huge hassle for everyone. I had zero problem up until now with IB and the only requirement was a simple message. 

@John5097 

Good point. I'm sure we will be seeing a lot of hosts posting about this in the coming months. We should all recommend that they turn off instant book if guests are not communicating with initial booking questions like the reason for staying, etc. 

It's absurd that Airbnb thinks that this new optional communication is going to encourage hosts to use instant book! I am huge on instant booking but something like this could break it. The initial communication message means EVERYTHING to me.

Totally agree @Emilia42. My last booking was instant booked, but some of them are not responding or if they are, they have no personal profile information when they are confirmed.

@John5097 

@Emilia42  They really don’t think things through, do they? The thinking was this would make everything easier for the guests, but in reality, it’s going to go in the opposite direction. All because they continually fail to take into account the HOST PERSPECTIVE.

@John5097 I agree. More hosts will simply turn off instant booking, rendering this "new update" useless. They should not be making the process quicker and easier for the guest, they should be implementing features that actually help the host. One simple thing they could do is create a click through instruction teaching the guests how Airbnb works, how they need to read rules, etc.

@Jennie131 I don't think the risk is worth it to not require a short message when booking. Even a very brief quick guide would help. That's why I included an example of the brief intro, so guest don't draw a blank about what to write. it can all be very short and sweet and easy. 

I'm sorry even hotels asks if you're coming for work or pleasure.... what is this about   why ? we own that property if it's mortgaged if it's insured your mortgagor and your insurance company expects you to monitor what goes on in that property your HOA expects you to monitor what's going on in that property you need to ask questions they're not coming to visit Uncle Bob and Aunt Susie

I just went through this with one guy he didn't want any communication in fact when he arrived he told me he wanted me to leave and then.... I had problems he disconnected our thermostat and was cranking out the air at 65 degrees and I called him on it and then he got mad well it's scary to have somebody in your house who doesn't care about your rules and regulations who throws down your thermostat  and your freezer to Frozen it's really scary when they bring sand into your property your pipes your everything I'm sorry these Travellers need to be accountable they have been taught  that they could do whatever they want to do and I'm sorry that's not the way to teach them....The Travelers need to be responsible and respectful of house rules but if you don't teach them like they're always teaching hoes that we've got to be perfect well The Travelers are going to adopt the entitlement mentality which they have most have

I have on my house rules that if we need to call the handyman or something please let us know ahead of time we're available 24/7 any questions please contact us we're available well this really nice couple who I really like and I don't think they did it maliciously .....I actually called him and said going forward when you book and you have an issue with the bed squeaking please let the host know immediately so they can have a handyman ready to look at the bed during turnaround session so it doesn't continue because we want to keep our properties in proper working order.

But I learned about this from his review and I'm thinking this is ridiculous it specifically says it on the house rules and it's a protocol that Airbnb has so I asked Airbnb why did you allow that to be publicized so now people want to think that I'm an irresponsible host when I'm not I'm Hands-On I'm very Hands-On but I did call The Travelers and explain to them they told me they were sorry but going forwards you always need to address everything with your host so they can get things in order if you don't tell host they don't know

I had the same thing happened with the lady who complained about our Grill being broken it was not broken it was full of propane she just didn't know how to use it I even bought aother brand new tank of propane thinking her son may have been fooling with it and it all leaked out well that wasn't it either .... she just didn't know what she was doing.

And she had unregistered guest I kept her deposit long story short they are going to grade me on their ignorance and their refusal to communicate with me that's not my fault and you can't grade me on  somebodys 'stupid' .

I'm sorry but I am out to change Airbnb to follow their own protocol making sure that guest communicate appropriately with the host for the sake of their visit and the sake of the host property needs to be attended to immediately not after they find out through a public announcement by the travel who's ticked off or innocently not knowing what to do and then grades me a 4 but everything else was fabulous

Anybody had this issue

Are you saying you've had Instant Book turned on all this time without those additional requirements, @John5097?  You can still have IB if you turn those on.  

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Colleen253 @Emilia42 

According to this Help Airbnb topic on Booking Requirements guest are supposed to include a introductory message. 

I still haven't heard back for one guest. The other four were very responsive. I phrased it as best I could wanting to make sure the reservation wasn't made by mistake. 

Without an first message host don't know if guest are booking for themselves or someone else. What are host supposed to do if they get zero communication from guest? 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1170/booking-requirements

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 8.28.54 PM.png

@Emilia42 @Colleen253 

I changed my settings. Requiring everything now. 
Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 1.10.43 AM.png

@John5097 Good idea. It seems though that the "Pre-Booking Message Required" is now obsolete as it is clearly not required and happens after the booking is confirmed. Airbnb will have to change these settings. Obviously, CS is going to have no clue what is going on when confused hosts start asking questions. 

This has not yet happened to me - all my recent guests have sent initial introductions. I will let you know if a trend begins. @Colleen253 Could you do me a favor? When you click reserve on any of my listings do you get an option to send a booking message?