No refund due to covid

Amber553
Level 1
Casuarina, Australia

No refund due to covid

Hi, so this is the other side of the fence. My sister booked exxy accom near her on behalf of my elderly parents. Then covid struck again. Flights were cancelled for my parents and sister from NZ. I told her she’ll get full refund bc that’s what I’ve done for guests affected by covid. But no, the host is saying no, bc she made the booking and is policy. She even gave 2 weeks notice. I’m so cross on my parents behalf!!! 

4 Replies 4

@Amber553  If only your parents had a Superhost in the family who could have advised them to check the cancellation policies before they booked! Darn, who could that be?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Amber553 Surely your parents aren't travelling without insurance... can they not claim on that?

I'm also confused why you wouldn't say something to your sister about making a third party booking for your parents.

I don't seen anything wrong with the host sticking to their published cancellation policy. What you would do in any given situation isn't really relevant: your situation and their situation may well not be the same. Many hosts have suffered heavy financial losses from Covid, and they may not be in a position to make an exception. Covid lockdowns and rule changes have been going on for over a year and a half: if travellers still aren't taking precautions to guard themselves against it, I'm not sure it falls on the host to act as a de facto insurance company. 

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

You're an experienced host.  Why on earth did you not tell your sister: (a) third party bookings are prohibited,  (b) Covid restrictions are explicitly excluded from the Extenuating Circumstances policy and therefore they should consider booking listings with a Flexible or Moderate cancellation policy and, (c) there's this (apparently outmoded) concept called 'personal accountability' ?  No doubt your parents will understand what that means.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Amber553, may I suggest that they do an "Alteration"  for a future date with the same Host?

It's one way of working around it and may work out to be a win-win.

If your sister messages the Host with future tentative dates and asks for flexibility, subject to when our borders reopen.

It's neither Guest, nor Hosts doing what's going on and very unfair, especially for older people who should be enjoying life free of stresses.

All the Best

Central To All Home and Location, Remuera, Auckland

As a New Zealander I'm sick to death of the stupidity that's going on as we all need to get our lives back on track for our economies.