Non-refundable request to move dates

Non-refundable request to move dates

Hi all

We're new to hosting and have just come across our first potentially tricky situation. A guest who recently made a non-refundable booking for a few days time, has sent us an email containing the following paragraph:

"We truly wish to see you soon after lockdown and enjoy your lovely place, but we’re just wondering if there’s a possibility to change our dates by that time, upon your availability of course. Or if you see we can find another solution. That would be much appreciated."

Albeit charming, it seems that they are strongly hinting at wanting to move their booking without losing their non-refundable payment!

Please could we have some opinions on how best to deal with this?

Charles

19 Replies 19

I had a CS rep contact me yesterday. Why the hell is Airbnb going to do non-refundable and then badger us otherwise? It is mind-boggling to me.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Charles1116 I am somewhat confused as to why the booking was accepted in the first place given that it is currently illegal to host?

I would definitely refund/change the dates for the guest and be glad I dodged a potential £1000 fine.

@Mike-And-Jane0 That's why the guest cancelled, but you make a good point that I don't fully understand.

We're new to hosting and are trying to work out exactly which rules to abide by and where to find them. Which rules and fines are you referring to, and do they refer specifically to private/airbnb letting? We recently had a German visitor stay for their 10 day quarantine, which we were led to believe was legal, bearing in mind that our guest lodge is separate from our home.

In the previous lockdown Airbnb seemed to impose a minimum 28 day booking, but that doesn't seem to have happened this time.

I'd really appreciate it if you could tell us which guidance you're following.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Charles1116 I can't find the latest lockdown legislation but if you google Tier 4 legislation you will find a relatively easy to read law that sets out who you can and can't rent to. I think this is also the lockdown legislation.  In simple terms you cannot rent to holiday makers but can rent to people moving house, attending funerals etc.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Charles1116 , I think the sky is the limit as to your choices including the policy they agreed with when they booked you, I have used many different ones including @Anonymous 's and no flex at all on occasions when I smelled a rat.   Keeping up with the Covid law-O-the day on the other hand could be an even tougher dilemma, one I hope disappears very soon before it bankrupts businesses that are very capable of hosting safely but thats another thread all by itself.  Stay well, JR