Not having fun hosting...

Timothy380
Level 2
Doncaster, United Kingdom

Not having fun hosting...

I am after suggestions for making my hosting better. Its currently really boring and not much fun.

I have my listing : please google it.  Or 》 airbnb.com/h/timspad

Maybe someone can tell me how to make this less of a chore and more of a chilled place. I LIKE being a HOST  and AirBnb is OK. It could be so much better. What do you think?

19 Replies 19

Very good post. Has a ring of truth to it. As it stands today, Airbnb is not my favourite.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Timothy380  It seems that you were under the impression that home-sharing means your guests are roommates, or perhaps that was what you were looking forward to.

Home-sharing simply means you share your home and maybe some common areas with guests. Some of my guests have been the sociable type who I get along with well, and with whom I might chat over coffee or a bottle of wine. Others are more private and we have little interaction except in passing. I take my cue from the guests as to how much interaction they want- they are not here too fulfill my needs for sociability, and at no point does it feel like a roommate situation.

If I wanted a roommate, I wouldn't list on Airbnb, I'd find  a suitable long term renter. My maximum allowed booking is 2 weeks, which ensures that guests won't get the impression that they live here now. I have had guests who I would have let stay longer if they had wanted to, but I would only decide that after sharing my home with them for a week or two.

That review is insane, entirely unprofessional, and I would be really surprised if Airbnb lets it stand. And any guest reading it would be pretty much certain never to book with you.

Timothy380
Level 2
Doncaster, United Kingdom

Totally agree, and, maybe the Airbnb rental I offer is not for you, and neither is your let, for me. I am unconcerned by definitions of 'professional' under this situation. What I experienced was, and is, quiet, quiet, 'Mad' and not something I want to do again. Others reading this; Getting into my home isn't that easy. You could not pay me enough for such negative experiences as this guest has given me, nor accept it as 'nice'.  Obviously I have lived. Unlike some Airbnb users or hosts. If you want to rent my place, with photographs from any device taken by me or even an idiot, you can try. This guest upset me. Don't try to do this again. I am 'laid back' but not stupid.  DON'T need you or your 'thing' (like the hippies would say) in my life, and if you remove consent I'll react proportionally. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Timothy380  No one has suggested that a host should have to put up with the type of behavior and attitude that your guest exhibited.

But a review is meant simply to let other hosts know whether a guest is suitable or not, it isn't the place to write a novelette dissecting the guest and his personality and habits. Nor does it warn future guests not to behave like that, because they don't read the reviews you leave for other guests.

A simple "This guest was disrepectful of my home, messy, and most definitely not suited to a home-share situation. Not recommended" tells other hosts all they need to know. Letting future guests know they can't mess with you or act disrespectfully is something you get across by your words and actions when they are in residence.

Kevin2172
Level 3
Oakland, CA

One of our first (ok, second) experiences with Airbnb was with Agnes: 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3903569?source_impression_id=p3_1631581098_l7itElpoB9L%2FyBuv

She made it a joy to stay with her and you could tell she really liked being a host (she served breakfast in the AM with homemade jam). If you are only doing it for the money, it will be a grind. However, if you view it as meeting new people and / or helping them out, I think you may enjoy it more.