Not sure how to finalise a cancellation due to COVID 19

Sue1578
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Not sure how to finalise a cancellation due to COVID 19

Could someone please advise what I am supposed to do.

I messaged a guest via Airbnb to cancel her reservation before the end of April Due to COVID 19. 

I didn't want her to lose any money while she is covered by Airbnb policy.

The rules in the area are for only essential travelling and I knew her travel was not essential going by her messages when booking.

I finally saw on my reservation cancelled. But it still showed the amount owing to me.

I messaged her again asking if she did it correctly as my other cancellations show up as zero. 

I have now received a message from Airbnb that the guest is requesting the amount.

I rang Airbnb to clarify if all I need to do is click accept.

I was told to decline and get the guest to ring Airbnb. I felt she didn't really want to help.

As per Airbnb policy, booking before March and staying in May, they should be entitled to the whole amount.

Has anyone just clicked accept the request? Or will there be any repercussions?

2 Replies 2
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Sue1578 from across the ocean in Auckland, New Zealand

I understand that there's no penalties due to Extenuating Circumstances.

May I suggest you use related keywords here in the CC search box as there's helpful information on this topic from others. You may also like to read through ABB HELP page on there website.

You may also like to msg the guest & offer to host them at a later date as well as  give the guest a refund. That way the option to have a future paying  guest is there to keep things ticking over & the door to communication open.

Maybe include in the msg something along the lines of,  Due to circumstances beyond both of our control I'd like to offer you the opportunity to rebook / come & stay at a later date when things have settled down for us both.

I look fwd to having you come to stay & look fwd to meeting you in the near future.

Keep things friendly, positive & open.

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Sue1578, I was wondering if you've seen Helen's reply? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen