Our Airbnb was broken into. What next?

Our Airbnb was broken into. What next?

I stayed at an Airbnb over the weekend with some friends, only to find out that the place was broken into while we were at dinner. Strangely enough the criminals stole small items like colognes, cigarettes, a pack of underwear, sandals and one or two other small things. There were other very valuable items which were surprisingly not stolen (not that I am complaining). The house was secured from top to bottom when we left and when we came back, there was no damage to any of the locks, doors or windows.

We made a police report, but since it was a petty theft, we are not sure if anything will come of it and we aren't fussing since these items are easily replaceable.

At this point I am not sure what to do as we were disappointed to find out that the owners have no CCTV cameras, so we have no idea how the intruder entered the house. The house manager was very helpful in trying to arrange for security as it was our last night anyway, but I think the home owners should at least invest in CCTV or an alarm. We have returned but no one has reached out to me to discuss the situation as this could easily be swept under the floor, putting future guests at risk.

Trying to weigh my options. Should I leave a public review about the incident? Or make them aware of our thoughts via the private review? Or should I go straight to Airbnb to report the incident?

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hang on a minute @Bradley150  if you wanted a place with CCTV why didn't you book one with this amenity?

You can't complain about the listing not having CCTV when this amenity wasn't advertised .

why are you blaming the host for not having cctv when you chose a listing without cameras????

I'm sorry you had this experience. If you want to claim compensation for the stolen items, use the police report to make a claim on your travel insurance.

it's not surprising the burglar only took small easy to dispose of items .

anyone sadly can be robbed it doesn't mean the host has done anything wrong. I think it would be unfair of you to mention this in your public review as it's a circumstance beyond  the hosts control .