Our first guest from hell.

Steven1133
Level 2
Mountain Center, CA

Our first guest from hell.

Hello fellow hosts,

After five years of hosting and 43 stays, we had our first bad one this past month. The guest was bad enough, but I feel the support I got from AirBnB was less than stellar. We need some others to weigh in.

We are on instant book and this guest wanted to break two house rules right off the top and was forced to contact us for her requests. We are a no smoking property and we don't take cats. Guest wanted us to accommodate her in regard to both. She was booking for 30 days, so the money was substantial. She said the kitten was well behaved, and if we allowed her to smoke (pot), she would only do it outside. We agreed to make a designated place for her on the patio of the rental apartment, which is the entire ground floor of our house. We live up above. Also, included in the rent is weekly cleaning. This serves two purposes; it allows us to change out sheets and towels, mop, dust, etc. It also allows us to see if anything bad is happening.

The guest was young (early 20's) and very personable and we got off to a good start, until the day of the first cleaning. We ask the guests on long stays to pick a day of the week of their choosing for the cleaning. We ask them to leave for a couple of hours so we can do the work.

Our apartment is quite lovely and not furnished with what I would call rental apartment furniture. It's actually the guest suite for our own visitors, when AirBnB folks are not in residence. It's furnished like our house.

Anyway, we walked in to do the clean and the place was a shambles. It looked like a border had moved in. Suitcases we're open and spilling over, clothes thrown around the room in heaps, clean and dirty. There was a path on the floor just wide enough to get from the front door to  the bathroom and kitchen. The cats food bowl was dirty and bits of dried food we're all over the floor. The litter box in the bathroom was full and litter was all over the floor. The tiny kitchen was a mess and the bed had taken the full brunt of someone peeing in it. Sheets, wool blanket, coverlet and brand new pillows. Shame on me for not having a waterproof cover on the mattress, but when we took the mattress pad off, it was clear it was toast. All we could do then and there was flip it.

It was also evident that kitty had used the arms and cushions of two upholstered chairs as a scratching posts!

I did not challenge the guest with what we found that day, other than to say that it looked like someone had an accident in the bed. The guest blamed it on the cat and feigned ignorance of the event. One week into a 30 day stay; we just didn't feel like starting something with this guest. But in any event, we were now on alert.

Second week was the same story, only this time the bed was still soaking wet. We pulled off the mattress pad and the stain was twice as large as the week before! At this point, I took photos and sent them to the guest via the AirBnB platform. I advised her that I would need to claim the damages done after her departure. She feigned ignorance again and offered a soft apology.

Meanwhile, the guests outdoor smoking routine lasted for about the first week, at which point she moved indoors for the remainder of her stay. We lived with the smell of weed permeating our house for three weeks. We're not confrontational types, and again, it was a long stay for a lot of money, we sucked it up.

Third week, wet bed again. Whomever was responsible, the guest was not modifying the behavior. She stayed in the apartment for days at a time, just she, the cat and the weed!

The fourth week, I received a message that the guest intended to depart four days early, Wednesday instead of Saturday. Wednesday was cleaning day. The guest did not ask for a refund on the four days, We took this as an apology for the situation and her attempt to make it right. We were cognizant of this and appreciative. She and the cat left and we went in to assess the damage. Went out that day and bought new mattress, new pillows, blankets and coverlet. Had our cleaning crew work double time.

Than came the day I had to write the review. I didn't want to rip her to shreads, so I gave her four stars and a totally non-committal verbal review. Also checked that I would not host again. Then, I re-read the five previous host reviews that I had used to make my decision to accept the girl as a guest. They were all 4.5-5.0 stars! Really??? It's like we had a different person here entirely. We held our breath for the guests review, and **bleep**, if she didn't cut us off at the knees! We've never had a rating less than 4.5! She gave us 3.0 and said some very unkind things, some of it was an outright lie. We were gobsmacked.

When I called AirBnB to protest, they said there was nothing they could do about the review as it did not violate any of their guidelines. It was her word against ours! We felt completely abandoned by the corporate support staff.

The issue for us is not so much the damage, but the lack support from the AirBnB staff. We feel like they really don't want to get involved in these resolutions. Everything is great while there are no problems, but you're on your own when something like this happens. 

Have others of you had a similar experience and how have you resolved it.

Thank you,

Steven & Carlos

34 Replies 34

Thank you Matthew, there is very useful advice in here and I am going to adopt your policy in an abbreviated form to the extent that I can in my location.  At a minimum I think I am entitled to a signature affirming that the rules are accepted (even though I require confirmation before booking).  I am new to AirbNB hosting but did a lot of research from community posts before I begun.  I've had a few cancellations and changed my cancel policy to moderate; and I have now had 3 guests who clearly intended to break house rules--one cancelled politely and paid without complaint; the 2nd cancelled early; the third didn't cancel but on the day of arrival sent a complaint to AirbNb that my property didn't meet the advertised standard (Although they didn't set foot here. I caught them out for intending to bring more guests than paid for and when I insisted they pay the difference they made the complaint. It was resolved and I got my pay out but I won't be surprised at a negative review. In any case I am writing my detailed review of their unacceptable behaviour and hopefully no one will ever rent to them again.  Unless of course they create a new ID).

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Matthew112 Your rental agreement appears to break the Airbnb rules that apply to us. Do you operate under different rules for some reason?

I'm not aware of what rule you are speaking of? Also, this is not a rental agreement. It is a guest registration agreement that all hotels generally use and present to any check-in arrivals. Just because the booking originated under, for example, Expedia and you arrive at your lodging destination, you still have to be processed under the hotel check-in procedures which is going to include a guest registration agreement. Hotels use this also a means to be compensated on the usage of the honor bar and/or ordering movies. 

@Matthew112  "I'm not aware of what rule you are speaking of? ".

Airbnb hosts are not allowed to ask for a guest's credit card info or make charges on it. And what you have written in the agreement is false- you didn't authorize the guest's payment for the booking, Airbnb did.

And if guests report that you took payments outside of Airbnb, you can be delisted.

Also your cancellation/refund rules do not align with Airbnb's Exyenuating circumstances policies.

You are misreading it. It's based as an either-or because not all my reservations come through on the online booking sites and this form is designed to serve all those reservations. A lot of my reservations are direct bookings. 

Please keep in mind this is designed as a tool. Nothing more. Tailor it to fit your needs. 

@Matthew112  I don't understand what you mean by an either/or. You have said in your Airbnb house rules section that guests must sign this agreement.

If course you can require it for direct bookings, and other platforms if they allow it, but Airbnb doesn't.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Matthew112  as someone who as such extensive experience in hospitality you will know you can't ask guests to sign up to a guest registration agreement where some of the clauses run contrary to the T&C they sign up to when they book through Airbnb. 

In addition certainly in the UK many of your clauses sound unenforceable legally.

I found Mike's policy useful. As I am new to this could you explain how it violates AirbnB rules that apply to hosts?  I get it about credit cards and direct payments.  But can one not ask a guest to sign that they have read all the rules, understood and will comply with them?

Thanks Ann, this is really helpful.  I've had a steep learning curve but I will hang in here and trust my next few guests will be great!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

As others have pointed out and you have agreed, much of this terrible incident can be attributed to your own behavior.  The good news about that, is you are perfectly capable of adjusting how you manage your listing.  That you are misinformed about a fundamental aspect of the review process is surprising given how long you have been hosting, but perhaps it would be useful for you to acquaint yourself with some of the articles in the Help Center about how this platform works.  I must give credit to the other hosts on this forum for much of my understanding of the platform, but I have been a particpant in this community for many years.  Good luck going forward and hopefully this is the only very expensive lesson you have to learn.  

Thanks again everybody, I've got the magnifying glass out today and looking very closely at the policies and procedures pages.

Tommy150
Level 10
Buffalo, NY

The fact that the guest wanted to break rules before even checking in should have been an INSTANT NO!!!!

You have rules, if people aren't going to respect them, don't rent to them. 

Michelle2475
Level 8
Massachusetts, United States

We've only owned our home (exclusively for a rental) for just over a year.  Our very first guest broke a brand new couch - I'm assuming the guys we're sitting on the back of it and flipped it.  The only reason why I got full reimbursement is that I could prove that they were, literally, the only people who had ever even sat on it.  Since I didn't know about it until after the review he got a good one and I did also.

We actually had to kick out a group of guys last summer.  I didn't know my neighbors but I certainly do now!  Apparently, they were shouting profanities on a microphone from their arrival at 11 am (I allowed early check in) until 2 am.  During this time I saw on my camera that they were burning expensive indoor wood outside and had asked them not to - my neighbors heard them say "Oh, yeah, we'll we're going to burn every last (bleeping) piece.  My neighbors called both the police and Airbnb.  I was never notified by Airbnb and my neighbor's were able to get in touch with me via a fake reservation inquiry.  I called Airbnb several times to help and they never called me back.  We were forced to handle it ourselves and tell them they had to leave.  It got worse from there but they left.  Airbnb would not remove the 3 star review he left even though I had video, pictures of damage, an a neighbor's complaint stating it was within their policy.  Everything in the review was a lie and I could prove it.  It was very discouraging.  Especially since my 5 star rating tanked.  As a new host I had no buffer.

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for weighing in, that is a story from hell. I guess the take-away is that like everything, AirBnB is not a perfect platform and ad hosts, we have to go with our gut feelings. The experience has caused me to amend the listing description and booking requirements. I guess one bad stay in five years isn't so bad. We'll be more aware in the future.