Our first guest from hell.

Steven1133
Level 2
Mountain Center, CA

Our first guest from hell.

Hello fellow hosts,

After five years of hosting and 43 stays, we had our first bad one this past month. The guest was bad enough, but I feel the support I got from AirBnB was less than stellar. We need some others to weigh in.

We are on instant book and this guest wanted to break two house rules right off the top and was forced to contact us for her requests. We are a no smoking property and we don't take cats. Guest wanted us to accommodate her in regard to both. She was booking for 30 days, so the money was substantial. She said the kitten was well behaved, and if we allowed her to smoke (pot), she would only do it outside. We agreed to make a designated place for her on the patio of the rental apartment, which is the entire ground floor of our house. We live up above. Also, included in the rent is weekly cleaning. This serves two purposes; it allows us to change out sheets and towels, mop, dust, etc. It also allows us to see if anything bad is happening.

The guest was young (early 20's) and very personable and we got off to a good start, until the day of the first cleaning. We ask the guests on long stays to pick a day of the week of their choosing for the cleaning. We ask them to leave for a couple of hours so we can do the work.

Our apartment is quite lovely and not furnished with what I would call rental apartment furniture. It's actually the guest suite for our own visitors, when AirBnB folks are not in residence. It's furnished like our house.

Anyway, we walked in to do the clean and the place was a shambles. It looked like a border had moved in. Suitcases we're open and spilling over, clothes thrown around the room in heaps, clean and dirty. There was a path on the floor just wide enough to get from the front door to  the bathroom and kitchen. The cats food bowl was dirty and bits of dried food we're all over the floor. The litter box in the bathroom was full and litter was all over the floor. The tiny kitchen was a mess and the bed had taken the full brunt of someone peeing in it. Sheets, wool blanket, coverlet and brand new pillows. Shame on me for not having a waterproof cover on the mattress, but when we took the mattress pad off, it was clear it was toast. All we could do then and there was flip it.

It was also evident that kitty had used the arms and cushions of two upholstered chairs as a scratching posts!

I did not challenge the guest with what we found that day, other than to say that it looked like someone had an accident in the bed. The guest blamed it on the cat and feigned ignorance of the event. One week into a 30 day stay; we just didn't feel like starting something with this guest. But in any event, we were now on alert.

Second week was the same story, only this time the bed was still soaking wet. We pulled off the mattress pad and the stain was twice as large as the week before! At this point, I took photos and sent them to the guest via the AirBnB platform. I advised her that I would need to claim the damages done after her departure. She feigned ignorance again and offered a soft apology.

Meanwhile, the guests outdoor smoking routine lasted for about the first week, at which point she moved indoors for the remainder of her stay. We lived with the smell of weed permeating our house for three weeks. We're not confrontational types, and again, it was a long stay for a lot of money, we sucked it up.

Third week, wet bed again. Whomever was responsible, the guest was not modifying the behavior. She stayed in the apartment for days at a time, just she, the cat and the weed!

The fourth week, I received a message that the guest intended to depart four days early, Wednesday instead of Saturday. Wednesday was cleaning day. The guest did not ask for a refund on the four days, We took this as an apology for the situation and her attempt to make it right. We were cognizant of this and appreciative. She and the cat left and we went in to assess the damage. Went out that day and bought new mattress, new pillows, blankets and coverlet. Had our cleaning crew work double time.

Than came the day I had to write the review. I didn't want to rip her to shreads, so I gave her four stars and a totally non-committal verbal review. Also checked that I would not host again. Then, I re-read the five previous host reviews that I had used to make my decision to accept the girl as a guest. They were all 4.5-5.0 stars! Really??? It's like we had a different person here entirely. We held our breath for the guests review, and **bleep**, if she didn't cut us off at the knees! We've never had a rating less than 4.5! She gave us 3.0 and said some very unkind things, some of it was an outright lie. We were gobsmacked.

When I called AirBnB to protest, they said there was nothing they could do about the review as it did not violate any of their guidelines. It was her word against ours! We felt completely abandoned by the corporate support staff.

The issue for us is not so much the damage, but the lack support from the AirBnB staff. We feel like they really don't want to get involved in these resolutions. Everything is great while there are no problems, but you're on your own when something like this happens. 

Have others of you had a similar experience and how have you resolved it.

Thank you,

Steven & Carlos

34 Replies 34

@Steven1133 You're right, one baddie in five years is not bad at all. And at least this guest-from-hell taught you how to avoid disasters like her in future, so it should be smooth sailing from here on out. Best of luck to you.

Hello Michelle.  That sucks.  I suspect this is about to happen to me and I am also a new host. And so a negative rating will hurt me. I caught out a guest who wanted to bring more people than they had booked for. When I insisted they pay they came up with all kinds of stuff and eventually, not only did not cancel but asked for a refund, which I refused to give.  They lied too. They will get a full negative review from me, and if they give me one too I will have to live wit it (or ditch AirBnB) but at least no host will ever knowingly rent to them unless they change their ID.

One of the problems with profiles (and nothing anyone can do about it) is that if a guest trashes a house, etc. they will simply not use the profile again and have friend book another place.  

I just don't understand why people get a bad guest, put up with it, write something nice, then leave the rest of us to be stuck with similar bad behavior. I always put "unfortunately I am unable to host this individual again" on the reviews of people who have been less than ideal. I didn't when I was new but I know better now. Have had only a few problems, but I think other hosts need to know.

We're already subjected to guests that go to absentee investor places and get good reviews (because the owner isn't personally involved) and those guests move on and are a horror show.

I know some people will start a new profile, but Airbnb needs to find a fix for that. In the case of my apartment, we ask a lot more questions of new users including that they have to have a verified ID on file with Airbnb.

@Christine615  It seems to me that hosts who put up with bad behavior and leave a nice or namby-pamby says-nothing-useful review are purely concerned with their own interests- they have little sense of community.

They are afraid to say anything to the guests themselves because they live in fear of a bad review and leave those reviews because they can't bring themselves to be anything but "nice" or are afraid the guest will send them a nasty message after reading a bad review ( to which I say "So What?)

Hosts who do this are not only doing other hosts a great diservice, I don't feel the least bit sorry for them when they get bad guests because other hosts like them failed to leave an honest review.

I have read hosts saying they were brought up with the adage "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." That's fine if we're talking about not telling a friend that it looks like she's put on some weight, or her new haircut isn't flattering, but if that is applied to reviews, then reviews are virtually useless. I would prefer a host left no review at all than one that leads other hosts astray.