Positive covid-19 test but missing $?

Kristy145
Level 1
Langley, CA

Positive covid-19 test but missing $?

Hello,

I'm trying to get some help & not having luck getting responses to my emails to Airbnb/or getting through.

we had a reservation for March 21-28. I cancelled on March 13 as we had been exposed and were showing symptoms so advised to quarantine.

We have since confirmed my mother has tested positive (she was travelling with us) 

we canceled our reservation on the 13th but only received a 50% refund. 

how can I go about getting the remainder refunded as we fall under the extenuating circumstances policy. 

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

They are swamped right now with similar requests, @Kristy145 . You could try Twitter. It's AirbnbHelp you want there.

Very sorry about your mum. Hope she recovers soon.

You don't have to do this, but if you are in any position to leave things as they are, you might consider it. You and your host each bore 50% of the cost of something neither of you had any control over, and that sounds fair to me. But I'm a host, so you don't have to listen. ; ) None of my guests have offered 50% either, but most have promised to rebook sometime in the future. 

All the best, whatever you decide.

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Kristy145 I had a situation where I needed help from Airbnb to cancel a mutually agreed upon reservation in order to avoid penalties and issue the guest a full refund. I sent Airbnb a message and they got back to me, it took about a week to get a response. I would just send a message and hold tight until they can get back to you. 

Luke279
Level 6
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Kristy145  I'm in the same boat as you! Had to cancel a reservation out of the safety of our guests due to social distancing in the UK and developing a cough/temperature yet Airbnb didn't want to know. 

The result? Airbnb decided to PENALISE me for cancelling! £80 UK cancellation fine, negative review, all because I followed Government instruction. 

Airbnb don't give a crap  

@Luke279  Airbnb is dealing with tens of thousands of cancellations right now. Another host just posted who had much the same situation as you (although she wasn't even sick, just didn't want to host guests now due to staying safe), was able to get through to Airbnb on the phone (amazingly) and they reversed her penalties completely.  It's not a done deal- I would hope they will be rectifying these types of bone-headed penalty situations when the smoke clears a bit. Don't give up.

Kristy145
Level 1
Langley, CA

Thank you everyone! I will keep trying! 

thankfully my host was able to rent out the nights we cancelled. I think we did it right before it got really bad & there were some people who were already in the area but cancelled the cruise so stayed at her place instead. So at least she wasn’t out the money for this week anyways! 

Best of luck to everyone else!